Tommy Smith Gets His Final Red Card

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Liverpool legend Tommy Smith has died age 74. An integral part of the team in the sixties and seventies he was a violent thug on the pitch, but he was not alone in that as all clubs had their hatchet men back then (And we loved them if they played for our team). He was one of the best at it, but would never survive in today's game with it's stricter refereeing.

Well loved by Liverpool fans, no doubt the club will mark his parting with a prominent tribute.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
He was a rough old lad!

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Smokin Joe I agree with much of your sentiment but really disagree with your "thug" comment. Over 600 appearences
and just one sending off......AND that was was for verbal abuse of the ref.
He was a real hard man (football wise). I spent many Saturdays on the Kop watching him and chanting "take no prisoners Tomny".
Ahh that great European night when he scored that brilliant header.
There wont be many more like him

PaulB

Legendary Member
Liverpool legend Tommy Smith has died age 74. An integral part of the team in the sixties and seventies he was a violent thug on the pitch, but he was not alone in that as all clubs had their hatchet men back then (And we loved them if they played for our team). He was one of the best at it, but would never survive in today's game with it's stricter refereeing.

Well loved by Liverpool fans, no doubt the club will mark his parting with a prominent tribute.
Very badly written and well out of order there. From the misguided title to the last line, it was a regrettable attempt at marking the passing of a notable figure in the game.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure “violent thug” is needed. I’d rather focus on his 630 ish appearances for Liverpool, 4 league titles, FA Cups, UEFA Cups, etc. A true Anfield great.

Mustnt forget "that" header.
And Barry Davies' impassioned commentary as it went in for 2-1...'oh YES!!...the old man's done it!!! What a way to end a career!!!' I can hear it like yesterday - a truly magic moment.

Top Bottom