TomTom query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I see some TomToms have a diagram of the road ahead showing lanes and routing through junctions. Can anyone tell me if entire routes are displayed like this or is it just more complex junctions that are portrayed.

rusky

CC Addict
You mean like this?

url34.jpg

Only junctions :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

Thanks Rusky, that was what I thought from reading but just wanted to make sure. I guess the roads between junctions don't need lane details! I have a Garmin at present but am tempted by Tomtom.

rusky

CC Addict
I've had instances where tt has counted rab exits incorrectly & said instructions that are contradictory to the map

TomTom is ok but not if you want to specify the route, it as a tendency to try and send you the way it wants even if it means bypassing a pre set way point :angry:. Even turning the IQ routes function off doesn't solve the problem, then it just seems to send you any which way to get its own back.

Beware of the screen saying shorter/ quicker route found, it works on historical traffic flow data for time of day, and it doesn't like you saying no :angry::angry:

On RaB's it can count laybys/ private driveways/ gated access roads as exits, I agree you need to look at the map. The older ones where miles better than the inteligent ones, except the damned thing blew up in a huff just because it was switched on for 28 hours :sad::angry:

Maybe the fact its replacement was bought in Italy is the route of my problems :laugh:

rusky

CC Addict
There's something not quite right with the latest Tomtom route planning.

It often takes you in completely the wrong direction or through a busy town when there is a ring road around it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks Rusky, that was what I thought from reading but just wanted to make sure. I guess the roads between junctions don't need lane details! I have a Garmin at present but am tempted by Tomtom.

If you buy a tom tom, be extremely careful about map upgrades. Whatever you do back them up before trying an upgrade Look into which models have SD card slots and stuff too. Unfortunately many tom tom units skimp on this sort of thing.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

There's something not quite right with the latest Tomtom route planning.

It often takes you in completely the wrong direction or through a busy town when there is a ring road around it!

My Garmin does that. If I go to Bishops Stortford from Harlow it keeps trying to get me onto the M11, and most of the way to Bishops Stortford it keeps saying do a "U" turn so it can bring me back to Harlow and onto the motorway. It seems to have an aversion to A roads if there is a motorway within a few miles. (I do know the way to Bishops Stortford from Harlow without the satnav by the way!).

Top Bottom