Tonight I am 'getting' jazz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out album and I can really understand the appeal, albeit its fairly mainstream as far as jazz goes. I haven't heard any jazz since leaving the parental home 20 years ago but I have to say I am enjoying this one. Cool :tongue:

Any other hep cats out there?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've seen Dave Brubeck a few years back, although I'm more into the trad stuff - Chris Barber and the like.
George Melly (RIP) was hilarious. Saw him about three times.

MancRider78

Saw a couple of the big names once, was a great night and during the interval a few of them were in the bar talking with members of the audience.

Slim

Über Member
I got into jazz via Art Pepper. Try Landscape - it's pretty accessible, live and has the very underrated George Cables on piano.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Togley said:
Listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out album and I can really understand the appeal, albeit its fairly mainstream as far as jazz goes. I haven't heard any jazz since leaving the parental home 20 years ago but I have to say I am enjoying this one. Cool :smile:

Any other hep cats out there?

I've just been playing some Miles Davis and learning 'Round Midnight' on my Sax... on a good day I can just play 'Take 5'!

There was a great programme a while back, '1959 - The year that changed Jazz' It featured: Time Out, 'Ah Um' - Charlie Mingus, 'Kind of Blue' - Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman's 'the shape of Jazz to Come'.

If you like Time Out then Ah Um and Kind of Blue will be instantly accessible to you and I would recommend you get hold of both. Ornette Coleman's more an aquired taste. Thankfully You-tube is a great help to sift through stuff.

I can't say I'm knowledgable, but I'm learning! Grew-up with Trad. and still enjoy to this day, getting into Be-Bop with John Coltrane slowly too. Charlie Parker's cool as is Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Evans, Jelly Roll Morton. There's sooo much, but as I age I get tired with 4 to the bar and the simple scales and timing of rock and pop. Jazz is somehow refreshing and the better for the effort to get to know it. The same can be said for Classical too mind.

Enjoy!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TheDoctor said:
I've seen Dave Brubeck a few years back, although I'm more into the trad stuff - Chris Barber and the like.
George Melly (RIP) was hilarious. Saw him about three times.

Saw Barber a couple of times, but sadly never George Melly... read his books though, and they're a hoot!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Have a listen to "Go!" by Dexter Gordon. Or Thelonius Monk, for something a little bit nearer the outer edge of sanity :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Very good recommendations Fnaar although I must say I could never have got into Monk as a "beginner" but now I love his stuff.

For anybody starting out I would recommend two things from completely different ends of Jazz: the Midnight Blue album by Kenny Burrell which is the perfect route for a blues fan into jazz and a best of Django Reinhardt CD (ideally with Stefan Grappelli) as an intro to the European school of jazz which IMO tends to have a much lighter touch than the US original.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Fab Foodie said:
Saw Barber a couple of times, but sadly never George Melly... read his books though, and they're a hoot!

Indeed they are. A hoot, a riot, and rather touching at the same time. I must admit I hated his singing, but there we are....

Top Bottom