Too heavy for kansi - any way to make the back wheel firmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glennboy

I realise that losing weight is the best solution to this problem - so no smart alec responses required!!

However, is there a way to make the wheel a bit firmer? I have pumped it up as much as i dare, but the rear wheel is rimming out on holes or bumps in the road.

Can i get a different inner tube? or tyre?

The bike is a 20 inch wheel kansi 3 twenty.

Thanks

Shaun

Founder
Welcome to the forum @glennboy - have you been pumping them up with a regular hand pump?

If so, you might not be getting as much pressure into the tyres as they can actually take. Have a look on the sidewall of the tyre and there should be a min/max PSI range - I think 20" folder tyres run between 45-100 PSI but do check your specific tyres to be sure as over-inflating them can lead to a nasty blowout.

Then get hold of (buy, borrow, or beg) a track pump with a pressure gauge - something like this:

... and pump your tyres up to near the max. PSI and see if they still hit the rim when you go over holes? If they do, shop for tyres that will take a higher PSI (I think the max you can expect from any tyre is around 100 PSI) - or if you're already at the max limit with your existing tyres, have to look at alternative solutions; including the possibility of using a different type of bike in the short term until you've managed to reduce your weight a bit. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Welcome to the forum @glennboy - have you been pumping them up with a regular hand pump?

If so, you might not be getting as much pressure into the tyres as they can actually take. Have a look on the sidewall of the tyre and there should be a min/max PSI range - I think 20" folder tyres run between 45-100 PSI but do check your specific tyres to be sure as over-inflating them can lead to a nasty blowout.

Then get hold of (buy, borrow, or beg) a track pump with a pressure gauge - something like this:

... and pump your tyres up to near the max. PSI and see if they still hit the rim when you go over holes? If they do, shop for tyres that will take a higher PSI (I think the max you can expect from any tyre is around 100 PSI) - or if you're already at the max limit with your existing tyres, have to look at alternative solutions; including the possibility of using a different type of bike in the short term until you've managed to reduce your weight a bit. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

For the right price you can buy my Jetstream, full suspension (no offence intended of course)

OP
OP
G

glennboy

Thanks for the input guys
The tyres are already 100psi, so i will borrow a pump as you suggest and try to inflate a bit more. If that doesn't help then i will try some new tyres and cut back on the crisps!!

100 should be more than enough glennboy. I'm 18st and never had a problem with my Brompton 16" tyres @90psi.

If 100 psi isn't enough to protect your rims from the sort of hazards that you're encountering perhaps you could try riding around them...

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Back to original post re tyres, what about Schwalbe Big Apple, they have a rep for sort of being like an extra bit of suspension? I guess all tyres could be classified this way but i have them on my Jetstream and love them

sreten

Hi,

Tyres should be 1.5" and 100psi way over what is needed.
Pump the rear up as hard as you can with a wimpy pump.
Run the front quite a bit lower than the rear,

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom