Too Icy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I wouldn't risk it on a bike. Black ice very likely.

I've got to go to the dentist tommorrow for a repeat presciption for special toothpaste.
The place is about 5 miles away and its a PITA to get to by public transport and I have to be there at 9am.Will it be too icy to cycle there? Im in Leeds.
Should I rearrange it? They wont post the prescription out I've asked.
I think you saw in the other thread, but met office thinks you'll be OK.

XC26

I won’t risk snowy or icy roads anymore as broken bones can take ages to heal and keep you off the road for too long. One of my biggest fears is when the road is slippery and there are ridges and grooves of snow and ice. Although you can cycle on it with care and concentration, eventually a car will force you out of its way, the driver not appreciating your inability to make sudden manoeuvres.

It depends for me on my confidence. In Edinburgh area I'd be confident down to -6deg on the big fat tyred commuter as the grit the main roads well (it does wreck your bike though) but where I am now I would be confident at temperatures hovering at a relatively milder 0deg.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If it is Duraphat you use i wouldn't worry about being without it for a day or so. I use it. I occasionally run out of the stuff then i use "ordinary" toothpaste till i get my prescription. Don't risk your bones on icy roads for a tube of toothpaste!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've got to go to the dentist tommorrow for a repeat presciption for special toothpaste.
The place is about 5 miles away and its a PITA to get to by public transport and I have to be there at 9am.Will it be too icy to cycle there? Im in Leeds.
Should I rearrange it? They wont post the prescription out I've asked.

Forecast for Leeds is -3C at 05.00 rising to -2C at 09.00. Over here I wouldn’t risk the bike with that forecast. In a city it may just be cold rather than icy.

Leave enough time to get a bus and make a decision in the morning.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'll be commuting the 13 miles into Leeds. But I will alter the route to be on main roads only. Might take the semi slicked MTB.

But, as Skol says, ride only if you're comfortable.

Top Bottom