Too late for a cassette change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I replaced my chain last week because a link in the old one snapped.

When I removed and measured it, it was stretched by 1/8".

There was no noticeable wear on the rear cassette so I left it with the new chain.

The first couple of commutes this week were fine., Towards the end of the week, I noticed the chain slipping / delayed change in the most common gears.

Have done 90 miles to date on the new chain. Is it too late to change the cassette - i.e. should I let them both wear out together, or should I replace it now?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You could probably get away with changing the cassette, but if you been riding that 90 miles under load then it may be too late..
If it was on a MTB i would say it was too late, i'm assuming its a roadbike?

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's a commuter hybrid - all road miles.

I ride with a pannier containing tools, spare tube, lunch and other bric n brac. I also have to climb a lot of hills.

It'll be mid-week by the time the cassette and chain whip arrive, so that'll be another 50 miles.

So I think it'll be too late to benefit from a cassette change. Might wear them out together and replace together the next time round.

Fiona N

Veteran
Don't waste that new chain though.
Buy another new chain when you get a new cassette, ride until this chain needs a clean, then swop to the first chain. Then every time you clean the chain, swop to the other. This way you get 2 chains' worth of wear out of the cassette without ever having to put a new chain on a worn cassette.

e-rider

crappy member
If the chain is slipping and it's an old cassette, that indicates that the chain isn't worn but the cassette is, suggesting that it's not too late.

I'd not want to ride a bike with a slipping chain - could damage the jewels on the next hill climb!

Buy a new cassette and try it - I think it'll be OK. If not, worst case is that you'll have to buy another chain - which can be found for £5 for 3/32" size (up to 8 speed) but even 9 speed chains can be bought for £10. I'm guessing that your commuter isn't 10 or 11 speed.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's an 8 speed. Have ordered a new cassette and a new chain too.

Will change over and keep the current chain and swap it in the mid-life of the new chain.

Thanks for the advice all.

Top Bottom