Too much solidarity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
drago's got a nerve laying the law down as long as he belongs to this brotherhood:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...ough-front-garden-and-hits-tree-10306594.html

Feastie

Über Member
I guess maybe one factor is that drivers can be identified and punished for what they do as individuals (with the number plate) v.s. cyclists who are comparatively anonymous to the total stranger. So it's easier to accuse "cyclists" than it is to accuse "drivers", even though both are fallacies, and then reactively you end up defending all cyclists because it IS so anonymous and cyclists who RLJ etc. rarely ever get caught.

Also a lot of things 'bad' cyclists do are dangerous to themselves in a way that means people have to drive slightly hyper vigilantly in places like London e.g. bikes undertaking turning cars, or filtering and then pulling out in front of a car which was just about the move, so it feels less like a single encounter than that your whole journey is coloured by additional measures being taken to counter bad cycling.

Personally I just tut under my breath... but then I do that for bad driving as well as bad cycling :P Not confrontational!

I forever get this at work.I seem to be a cycling ambassador and every time a motorist has a grievance towards cyclists they come moaning to me. I'm forever telling them yes there are some real knobbers about and that I assure them I do believe in obeying the rules of the road.

Maylian

Veteran
Depends what they do. Like others say it reflects on all cyclists, and whilst we may never be a popular group, we can certainly improve the odd persons perception of us as well as their days by our actions.

I have shouted at RLJers before and still do at times, other times I make it a point to overtake them and prove that it isn't much of a time saving. I have even pointed it out to the police and had them pulled over for it (they jumped 2 sets of lights in a row front of the police) before they put on the blues and 2's. If I defend myself against cars and poor driving then I'm equally at risk from bad cyclists, at least I'm faster than 95% of bad cyclists.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Generally non-confrontational, I tend to mutter. I recall riding with @Mista Preston and found him to be considerably more in touch with his frustration than I.

Sometimes my inner monologue breaks out though. The normal irritant is an undertaking repeated RLJ, coupled with a wobbly trackstand into what BikeSnob calls the 'Sandbar of Idiocy', then a cross-chained wrong gear pull-away.

That said, the voice in my head often gets a reply from other cyclists around me. I'm not sure if I'm telepathic or if I'm losing it. But I swear I just thought 'No! Its not red.. I mean, its a reddish hint, sure, but its definitely green, well, reddy green anyway, more sort of crimson than an apple green, but no, you go ahead, you're obviously far more important than the law, and learn to trackstand you cockwomble', just at the second that the girl beside me spontaneously asked what a cockwomble was.

Last edited:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Community support officers have their place, but I'm the sort to let people get on with it, and save policing for the police.

I seem to be a cycling ambassador...

diplomatic immunity

donnydave

Über Member
I forever get this at work.I seem to be a cycling ambassador and every time a motorist has a grievance towards cyclists they come moaning to me. I'm forever telling them yes there are some real knobbers about and that I assure them I do believe in obeying the rules of the road.

A new bloke at work saw that I was dressed up in my cycling stuff and proceeded to recount several tales of bad cycling to me. I asked him "Am I the spokesman for all of the cycling world?" and flounced off in a huff. The other guys I've worked with for a while now (I call them "lifers") knew I was having a laugh - sometimes if I drive in and I'm a few minutes late I'll exclaim "BLOODY CYCLISTS!" but the poor new bloke has never mentioned travel or transport since :laugh:

[QUOTE 3738083, member: 45"]At risk of engaging the Godwin's Law for cyclists, go visit Amsterdam. It's full of law breaking and what could be perceived as highly arrogant behaviour by cyclists. And largely no-one gives two hoots. Other cyclists don't fret about how it could make them look, and drivers just get on with their driving.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem here,because im forever getting comment s about this thing at work im pretty cheesed off about seeing it on the road.The motorists seem to make the excuse and forever comment that they saw some law breaking cyclist because they are no angels on the road themselves.

Top Bottom