Too much too soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jo_e

I think I broke myself.
Started commuting to work last week, 12km out, 14km back, road and shared path on my mountain bike. I returned to cycling in May, just doing weekend rides of around 20km with my son in a trailer.

My times and fitness have been improving, but yesterday I couldn't face cycling in, I was just too tired, so I got a lift with my bike and just cycled home. My time was good but I felt really tired and defeated, and my legs were failing.

This morning, I feel like someone stuck a knife in my shoulder. I can't face cycling in at all (the first two miles are uphill and pretty daunting) so I'm going to drive and try again tomorrow.
I've just jumped in too soon and overdone it, haven't I?
How many times a week would be reasonable for a beginner to cycle this distance to work without feeling totally worn out?

Jo

You probably need a few rest days.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the path reasonably smooth? If so, slick tyres on your MTB should make it easier, certainly the road portion - Schwalbe Cityjets seem a popular option for this. Do you stretch when finished each ride, may help

And rest :smile:

What surface is the shared path? If semi-reasonable then get slick tyres for your mtb (or better, a hybrid/road bike if you can).

Commuting a fair distance on knobblies on smooth roads is not to be recommended unless you are a sadist in training for some event.

lee1980sim

Just rest or one day bike one car for a while, I do about the same and have been for a year, it takes a couple of months to get used to the daily slog as a cycle ride here and there tends to be a more relaxed and leisurely ride than the damned commute

OP
OP
jo_e

jo_e

I must admit stretching isn't my strong point. I slap myself on the wrist for this, as I tend to skip stretching after running too. My post exercise routine needs a shake up. :whistle:

The path is ok, smoothish, I see plenty of people on road bikes so it can't be that bad, though I do sometimes wonder how they manage on slicks as it can be gritty in places and there's lots of twigs and horse manure to avoid.

I was hoping to get a cyclocross bike but they are a bit out of my price range, so I've got my eye on a 2nd hand road bike at the moment, and probably keep the MTB with the knobblies for the weekend jaunts to the woods with the trailer. I'm going to need a bigger shed.

snorri

Legendary Member
You are too harsh on yourself.
You have a job, that is a responsibility, you say you have a son, another and much greater responsibilty. Not content with attempting to cycle 26km every working day, you are adding stress by monitoring your cycling performance.
Cycle one day a week until you are comfortable doing that, then try two days a week, but take time along the way to relax and enjoy your surroundings.:smile:

OP
OP
jo_e

jo_e

Just rest or one day bike one car for a while, I do about the same and have been for a year, it takes a couple of months to get used to the daily slog as a cycle ride here and there tends to be a more relaxed and leisurely ride than the damned commute

I thought I'd find it relaxing but the initial 2 miles uphill is so exhausting that I'm a mess almost immediately. :sad: Hope I'm organised enough to keep this up when the Summer Hols are over. (I work in a school so there are not many people here at the moment to see me arrive. Thankfully.)

OP
OP
jo_e

jo_e

You are too harsh on yourself.
You have a job, that is a responsibility, you say you have a son, another and much greater responsibilty. Not content with attempting to cycle 26km every working day, you are adding stress by monitoring your cycling performance.
Cycle one day a week until you are comfortable doing that, then try two days a week, but take time along the way to relax and enjoy your surroundings.:smile:

Ah, you're probably right. I'm pushing myself too hard - I started monitoring my time because I want to know if cycling to work is feasible when school starts back. During the summer it doesn't matter if I'm a bit late as there's no one else here. I should probably just keep going through the summer without timing and then see how I'm getting on in 4 weeks time. Next week I'll alternate between driving and cycling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Jo, don't time yourself just yet, you will become faster on the commute. After a couple of weeks or so you go on automatic pilot, get to know shortcuts, traffic lights to avoid for quickness.
When I first started commuting to work (similar distance to yours, one small hill) I used to budged for 1 hour :blush: now I do it in 25/30 minutes, 35 if I'm tired.
Sticking slicker tyres on the MB will improve your speed immediately, as others said.

cd365

Guru
I think I broke myself.
Started commuting to work last week, 12km out, 14km back, road and shared path on my mountain bike. I returned to cycling in May, just doing weekend rides of around 20km with my son in a trailer.

My times and fitness have been improving, but yesterday I couldn't face cycling in, I was just too tired, so I got a lift with my bike and just cycled home. My time was good but I felt really tired and defeated, and my legs were failing.

This morning, I feel like someone stuck a knife in my shoulder. I can't face cycling in at all (the first two miles are uphill and pretty daunting) so I'm going to drive and try again tomorrow.
I've just jumped in too soon and overdone it, haven't I?
How many times a week would be reasonable for a beginner to cycle this distance to work without feeling totally worn out?

Jo
When I started commuting I did the first 3 days fine (10 miles each way) and on the fourth day my legs felt like lead so I took the car, cycled in on the Friday. I didn't feel guilty, just getting over the first week was my challenge and though I couldn't do a full week anyway.

MickL

Über Member
Its took a good few months to be able to commute most days to work, Ive done 260 miles this month (10 each way) but its took me a long time to be able to do. Just take it easy rest a few days and soon be back in the saddle.

I cycle commute 3-4 times a week in the summer, 2-3 in the winter. I cycle in drizzle but not rain, won't cycle in icy conditions nor heavy winds

This amount suits me well. I'm sure there's more dedicated commuters here that would scoff at me but this works for me still making sure I have energy for the rest of my daily life.

Top Bottom