Too much too soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shux

As someone has mentioned above put a set of city jets semi slicks on you bike, I did and it knocked about 15 mins of my 8 mike commute, just listen to your body if it says to tired then use the car you are only human, and always budget more than you need, for instance I know my commute takes 30 mins but I leave home 45/50 mins before to allow for tiredness during the journey, and I never push to make the 30 unless I feel in top form

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As other folk have said take a rest day or days, using other modes those days will probably encourage you to get back on the bike ;)
I wouldn't advise using the bus too often though as this could leave him feeling like there is no hope. :smile:

OP
OP
jo_e

jo_e

Thanks all for the advice, I'm going to take it a bit easier and probably change my tyres, and perhaps get a new bike in a few months if I decide to continue. No buses, routes here are terrible. :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As many others have said, just take it easy. It isn't a competition (unless you want it to be) so just enjoy the rides. You don't have to do it every day if you don't feel like it. Just ride for fun. In time you may become fitter and want to do more. After that.......lycra:cry:

OP
OP
jo_e

jo_e

As many others have said, just take it easy. It isn't a competition (unless you want it to be) so just enjoy the rides. You don't have to do it every day if you don't feel like it. Just ride for fun. In time you may become fitter and want to do more. After that.......lycra:cry:

I want to be able to do more now - I'm too impatient to wait to get fit. ;-)
I've had a couple of rest days, so back to it on Monday but will aim for 3 days instead of 5!

hi ya im the same im new to cycling to work,,its a 20 mile round trip to work an back,,the first 2weeks were bloody hard but the 3rd week it was a little easier,,but only a little!!!..and like alot have said change your tyres to city jet slicks i did and they do help!!..cheers,,,dean....

andrewpreston

It seems that a few people started commuting in June when the good weather started, I did, and I saw improvement after the second week. I only do three (sometimes two) days a week and do a 22 mile round trip with a couple of steepish hills.

I'm on holiday at the moment and found excuses every day not to cycle in on the week before I went away. I'm now missing the bike and, strangely, am looking forward to resuming the commute. I only hope I can keep it up through the winter though.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well good for you for doing it! I commute similar distances and take at least a day off a week (though admittedly it's because I meet up with some friends for an mtb ride). Obviously much may depend on your own health and status (e.g. if you are 98 years old and 30 stone, perhaps commuting every day would be overdoing it a bit :smile: Assuming you are in reasonable health and shape, I'd think commuting everyday would be possible -but of course that doesn't mean to say you should do it. My advice would be to commute when you enjoy it -don't make it a chore -unless of course you have a financial necessity there.

It happens to all of us that sooner or later that you get a bit tired. Here are some suggestions to help keep fresh and keep commuting by bike:

i. take a break now and again -or drive one way and then cycle the other.
ii. spin (SPIN) up those hills. And when I mean spin, I mean an absolute minimum cadence of around 90rpm (and some people consider that to be too slow). Don't be afraid to cycle slowly.
iii. if possible, take a different route now and again.
iv. if your shoulder is hurting you, try adjusting the height of your handlebars, or the reach to them and/or combination of saddle height. While you can rule out some positions through common sense, unfortunately this isn't always a science and you'll usually experiment with them until you find that good position for you (and even then, you'll find this ideal position is likely to change as you get fitter or age).
v. prepare the night before; don't give yourself the opportunity to give up before you start.

Hey good luck!

Top Bottom