too much too soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l33rec

Folks until 6 months ago i used to commute 6 miles each way every day I have a new job starting Monday my new commute is 14.5mile each way is this likely to be too much of a leap and what are your tips and advice !

yello

It's do-able but really depends on the 14.5 mile, the alternatives and the facilities at your work place.

I used to commute a similar distance from central London to Eastcote a couple of times a week. It took just over an hour. The tube wasn't that much quicker. But it really wasn't a pleasant commute; traffic, roads, grotty surrounds, etc. Plus there were no showers at work. The tube was actually quite pleasant since I was going out of town against the flow. So I wasn't particularly motivated to ride it on a daily basis.

Personally, I'd start with the intention of doing it a couple of times a week and see how it goes. Take it from there.

How old are you?

I have been doing ten mile commutes for the last 16 years and can still manage...even with a heavy workload and 7 days commute spells.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Same as Fossy. 14.5 miles sounds a lot and it is a big jump from 6, but you'll get used to it very quickly.

I'm very close to your weight and age and commute 12 hilly miles - everyday.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is not that great an increases in distance, shouldn't be a problem if you don't push too hard to start with...

shrew

agreed, 14.5 miles will feel alot for the 1st couple of weeks, after that youll get a rush from completing your journey quicker each week and dropping a few lbs )

enjoy, commuting is a great way to keep fit.

OP
OP
l33rec

l33rec

I have a very strong mental attitude have previously( few yrs ago now !) competed in 100km ultramarathons multisport and an ex para so I ll see how it goes and yes am lookin forward to shifting a few lbs !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
l33rec said:
I have a very strong mental attitude have previously( few yrs ago now !) competed in 100km ultramarathons multisport and an ex para so I ll see how it goes and yes am lookin forward to shifting a few lbs !

Well then............. just ride the 14 miles quicker than the 6 then...MTFU...:biggrin:

laertes

I have been doing a 13.5 mile round trip commute for about 9 weeks. Prior to that I had done the same commute a year ago (for a period of about 3 months) but little other regular cycling, perhaps a 25 mile trip once a fortnight. It was dead easy, fitness wise. Took about 75 mins to start with, not trying too hard and with some stops for traffic etc in central London. Now doing it in about 62-65 and have already lost more than half a stone.

OP
OP
l33rec

l33rec

Sold ! I ll let you know how i get on my trusty Kona has had a mini service in readiness of the task ahead would use my old road bike but think i ll need the granny gears when it comes to box hill ;-)

Tynan

Veteran
resting heart of 42 means go and see a doctor unless you're very fit indeed

I know after my heart issues last year with much nurse/cardiac doctor attention

Top Bottom