Too much weight being put on the bars ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Fab Foodie said:
Very nice goo!
It takes a bit of experimenting to find the "sweet-spot". I was going to write a separate thread about that having lost then re-discovered my seating position for max comfort/speed.
You might not need the tyres at full pressure either, often dropping a few psi will give a much nicer ride with no loss in speed for effort. Additionally, lighter more supple tyres like PR2's in 25c would give a much sprightlier and comfortable ride. Full ride report expected tomorrow then!

Definitely aiming to change the Kenda tyres that came on the bike asap, though not totally sure about what to change them to. Was thinking Schwalbe Stelvio or similar with decent puncture resistance, after finding out how good Marathon Plus were on the MTB for commuting.

I'll let you know whether I get lost again tomorrow, and whether the saddle sweet-spot has been reached !

Tynan

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
Tynan, what route did you take?

hi Chris, umm followed the bloke in front really but over London Bridge and through sarf London up Shooters Hill through Greenwich and then through Dartford Tunnel (shambles) and then straight to Southend via backroads

excellent route, 34 riders, slow if not dawdling pace to suit some seemingly very slow riders at the back who later reported 'just keeping up'

average speed was 12,5 mph, it seemed slower, still, all welcome and all that and no-one left behind

good fun and good people

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Ride report after saddle fiddling:

Lovely fast ride in today - felt much more comfortable setup-wise and I set a new PB of 32 minutes (used to do it on average between 38 - 40 mins on the MTB going flat-out).

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Much appreciated.

Brahan

Über Member
Hi Guys. After about 5 years of no cycling I decided to save my pennies and I bought a road bike. Im addicted already!! I love the speed!! The only thing is; my elbows hurt. I'm sure all newies ask this but....will the pain go with time? I mean, I know my backside will get used to the seat but with my elbows its more of a joint pain. Will they toughen up eventually?

Thank you.

roadiewill

My SCR came with the bars right up and the saddle sloping downwards - all of which was soon corrected by the guys on here. Now the bars have only got one spacer and the saddles horizontal

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Brahan said:
Hi Guys. After about 5 years of no cycling I decided to save my pennies and I bought a road bike. Im addicted already!! I love the speed!! The only thing is; my elbows hurt. I'm sure all newies ask this but....will the pain go with time? I mean, I know my backside will get used to the seat but with my elbows its more of a joint pain. Will they toughen up eventually?

Thank you.

My switch to a road bike (only on week two now) has resulted in slight back pain and sore hands from riding on the hoods, but it's been lessening as the days go on and I adjust. I think you'll toughen up, though it might be worth looking at saddle and bar heights, and reach distance between saddle and bars.

Someone with proper set-up experience will be along soon to explain, I expect !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
goo_mason said:
My switch to a road bike (only on week two now) has resulted in slight back pain and sore hands from riding on the hoods, but it's been lessening as the days go on and I adjust. I think you'll toughen up, though it might be worth looking at saddle and bar heights, and reach distance between saddle and bars.

Someone with proper set-up experience will be along soon to explain, I expect !

I doubt I'm that person, but...

My own experience suggests that the key is small adjustments - I spent a week getting my seat height more or less where it was "right". Regarding sore hands, a good quality mitt like the Specialized Body Geometry Comp may help (as will changing hand position - I don't like riding on the hoods much, but do find that road vibration there seems worse than in the bend of the drops). Some adjustments are counter intuitive - lowering my bar height relative to saddle height sorted out the sore back I was suffering with - this seems wrong, but allows me to ride with a straighter back, hence less pain (for me).

Try and think what riding position is giving you pain, and then try and sit so the position feels less stressful - then alter the setup of the bike so you can stay in that position while riding.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brahan said:

Thank you.
Welcome Brahan.

Elbow pain is not usually reported. Are you elbows straight, I mean permanantly locked-out when riding or are they relaxed and bent? Elbows should be slightly bent and not tense, they should act as part of the shock absorbing system.
Are you very stretched-out with a big reach to the bars or are they very close?
Again I refer to this article, most useful for getting comfortable!
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Brahan

Über Member
Hey Fab Foodie.

Yeah, my arms are pretty much straight when I ride. Thanks for the link, I'll read it through tonight and see what comes of it. I do feel a bit streched out but not uncomfortable. The bloke in the shop confirmed that the bike was the correct size AND he had a smaller one so it's not as if he HAD to sell it.

Pain aside, is it usual to constantly be thinking of my next route?

All I do at the moment is stare at multimap. My work like my elbows is suffering.

Fab Foodie

Brahan said:
Hey Fab Foodie.

Yeah, my arms are pretty much straight when I ride. Thanks for the link, I'll read it through tonight and see what comes of it. I do feel a bit streched out but not uncomfortable. The bloke in the shop confirmed that the bike was the correct size AND he had a smaller one so it's not as if he HAD to sell it.

Pain aside, is it usual to constantly be thinking of my next route?

All I do at the moment is stare at multimap. My work like my elbows is suffering.

Yep that's normal.
See how the elbows fare, they should be slightly bent and ypu should not have too much weight going through them. The lkinks explains some of this. What's important is to get the saddle position right first and foremost, then work on the bars.

Brahan

Über Member
Right. Saddle up about 2cms and I have pushed it back an inch or two. Elbows are fine. Thanks Fab Foodie. Also, it seems like I have much more power in this position, which I'm really happy with.

Fab Foodie

Brahan said:
Right. Saddle up about 2cms and I have pushed it back an inch or two. Elbows are fine. Thanks Fab Foodie. Also, it seems like I have much more power in this position, which I'm really happy with.

Good to hear some positive feedback Brahan. A bit of tweaking can pay big dividends in comfort and output.
Enjoy!

Top Bottom