Took a tumble...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atalanta

... and it was all down to a pedestrian.

Intersection of New Oxford and St Giles for those who know it, I had the sun in my eyes and was focussed on a bus just behind me, when a woman steps out to jaywalk and we collide. We're both lucky there wasn't more damage done; I distinctly remember shouting out "OH fark" as I went arse over teakettle and landed on my backpack which cushioned the blow, and I've got a nasty skinned knee but nothing more serious than that.

I'm loving the irony that that, after all the warnings and such I got about cycling in London, the first accident I'm in is something that could just as well have happened in my 600-person hometown.

Still slightly reeling.

vickster

Legendary Member
... and it was all down to a pedestrian.

Intersection of New Oxford and St Giles for those who know it, I had the sun in my eyes and was focussed on a bus just behind me, when a woman steps out to jaywalk and we collide. We're both lucky there wasn't more damage done; I distinctly remember shouting out "OH fark" as I went arse over teakettle and landed on my backpack which cushioned the blow, and I've got a nasty skinned knee but nothing more serious than that.

I'm loving the irony that that, after all the warnings and such I got about cycling in London, the first accident I'm in is something that could just as well have happened in my 600-person hometown.

Still slightly reeling.
Ouch gws

Do you have 3rd party liability insurance in case a pedestrian decides to sue, rightly or wrongly.£9.50 from LCC is the cheapest afaik

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ouch gws

Do you have 3rd party liability insurance in case a pedestrian decides to sue, rightly or wrongly.£9.50 from LCC is the cheapest afaik

Yebbutt... what if you accidentally blunder into someone walking? Serious point by the way. A friend of my former lodger blundered into an elderly gentleman in a cafe who fell down and subsequently died. Awfull story but no one had pedestrian insurance and it was quite properly treated as a sad accident with no blame.

They may well have pedestrian insurance these days, as part of their household insurance... but I hope it would still not result in a claim.
If someone running for the bus ran hard into me and knocked me over breaking my teeth so needing thousands of reconstructive surgery, i would sue them.

But the risk of someone getting seriously injured by another pedestrian a vanishingly small, so it makes no sense to insure specifically against it. It also means insurers can throw it into home insurance without affecting the cost much if at all.

The risk of maiming someone on a bike is somewhat higher, and of course with a car, higher still.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But the risk of someone getting seriously injured by another pedestrian a vanishingly small, so it makes no sense to insure specifically against it. It also means insurers can throw it into home insurance without affecting the cost much if at all.

The risk of maiming someone on a bike is somewhat higher,
...and yet, still so low that many insurers will throw it into home insurance without affecting the cost much if at all.

and of course with a car, higher still.
Oh yes. Once you have big engines and tonnes of metal, then you're talking potential for big damage.

Top Bottom