Took another "plunge" don't want to drown.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
I started learning to swim front crawl in 2010 (ages 32 at the time) at my local pool in an adult group lesson, then joined the swimming club my children are members of when they started masters sessions. I could only swim 4 lengths front crawl without gassing when I joined. I'd always put being so exhausted at swimming a couple of lengths down to poor technique and breathing, which was the major factor in it, but there is an element of intensity too. Swimming is a different type of exercise and it takes time to adapt. The best thing I did to improve was to join the club and then build up to three club sessions a week between a swim club and tri club. The improvements came quickly and if you can train with a club I can't recommend it enough. If the club offers technique session even better. Our tri club offers technique specific lessons in small groups in five week blocks for the same cost as a normal club swim session in a dedicated lane. It is used to help swimmers improve and also for coaches to work towards the next level coaching qualification. These are really popular with club members.

For open water swimming some clubs or venues offer beginners sessions. My first open water swim was also my first triathlon but I was at the back and swimming breast stroke so not really a problem. If you plan on doing an open water tri and can swim front crawl it's definitely worth practising in advance for sighting, swimming in a group etc.

Didn't enjoy swimming as a kid much and could only really do breast stroke and backstroke before my parents let me quit lessons. Now I love it. Hated running XC as a kid too. As an adult it's my favourite type of running ^_^. I think I've just given you my life story but there's some tips in there somewhere :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Take some tips to avoid dying;

1.Do some open water sessions before the event

2.Check for risk factors; hypertension, obesity and obstructive sleep apnoea.

3.Get in the water before the race starts and acclimatise, don't ask if you can, just do it.

4.Stay back and to the side, let everyone go first then pootle along at the back at your leisure

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

No intention to start with open water swimming the beginners triathlon I signed up for is 6 lengths in the pool.

With my practice this week I am now up to 5 lengths non stop and completed 34 lengths in 2 length intervals yesterday. Not bad from barely being able to do a length under two weeks ago.

Glad to say although if you go off the BMI scale nonsense I am border line "obese" I actually have low body fat and am and always have been pretty fit, just no good at swimming.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I did it!

Not going to lie I struggled on the swim from going off to quick so had a few breaks and was last out of the pool in my heat by about 1 1/2 mins but managed to catch 4 people on the ride and one more on the run. I aimed for 35 minutes which was a big licked finger in the air I finished in..............35mins and 1 second.

Thoroughly enjoyed it cracking afternoon with people from very experienced to well me I guess all just having a good time.

Stephenite

Membå
I did it!

Not going to lie I struggled on the swim from going off to quick so had a few breaks and was last out of the pool in my heat by about 1 1/2 mins but managed to catch 4 people on the ride and one more on the run. I aimed for 35 minutes which was a big licked finger in the air I finished in..............35mins and 1 second.

Thoroughly enjoyed it cracking afternoon with people from very experienced to well me I guess all just having a good time.
That's great!

What's next! :tongue:

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

That's great!

What's next! :tongue:

Ha well stage one now I have finished the panic learn to swim in two weeks phase. Is learn to swim properly. There is an open water swim over the same distances in a lake in 6 weeks but I am not rushing into it and will not even consider it if I can't swim at least twice the distance non stop before hand.

So realistic future is continue with the swimming I have already started working on a more relaxed technique but from my endeavour found that I realistically can't use my bad arm. So one are propulsion it is.

I will continue to cycle because that is a strength but I have now started running to a heart rate monitor so keeping my Heart rate at around 70-80% running slower but for longer rather than my usual flat out shorter runs.

Top Bottom