Took The Plunge - The Tandem Has Arrived!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well after an afternoon of fettling I've had a very brief sortie around the estate. The rear wheel didn't spin too well, so stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the bearings. The cassette was also loose, and both chains needed a clean along with the 3 chainsets, which all got removed and degreased.
The funny little spring thing attached to the rear of the fork is, apparently, to make the steering have more resistance and stop it turning with loaded front panniers. I found it disconcerting so removed for now.
Only a couple more things before I'm happy to take the lass out. Check the front hub, which seems OK but not had the wheel off yet. The more pressinf item is new tyres, the current Kenda ones are very badly cracked and I have no plans going out proper on them.
Any recommendations for tyres? I need 26 x 1.75 or 2, and riding terrain will likely be towpaths and tarmac.
We have Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem and have only suffered two tyre traumas in about 10000miles. Chap who built ours (Pete Bird) recommends stoker's pedals two teeth ahead of captain's

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We have Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem and have only suffered two tyre traumas in about 10000miles. Chap who built ours (Pete Bird) recommends stoker's pedals two teeth ahead of captain's

Thanks. I ended up with Marathon Plus Touring as they have a decent bit of tread for towpaths etc. ATM we are in sync and will see how we go...

Top Bottom