Tool bag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Since I got my Super Galaxy 3 1/2 years ago I've been doing a sort of rolling restoration on it, which has mostly consisted of replacing all its modern bits with as close to original spec as possible. I'm reasonably happy with it now but one thing that lets it down is the Lidl tool bag under the seat.

35264229390_de89f4f671_b.jpg

It's not very elegant and doesn't really fit in with the period of the bike.

Is there anything a bit more suitable I could use? It's to carry a few basic tools, puncture repair kit, spare tube, maybe a Mars Bar or two, that sort of thing.

Ideally I'd want something the same sort of age as the bike, so a model name to look for on eBay would be good, unless there's something I can buy new that would look the part.

TIA

Carradice tool-roll?

$_58.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bobtoo

Über Member
You're not wrong, though erectness isn't necessarily a prerequisite. The Lidl one does disgorge all its contents as soon as you unzip it, which is a bit annoying.

Thanks for the ideas, any of the suggestions so far would be suitable. Even if I end up with something completely different, as seems to be the tradition with "what should I buy" threads, it's good to get some ideas.

midlife

Guru
Get an old tool roll and "zip" it up and attach it to the saddle with some toe straps. Works a treat and looks great on a vintage bike.

View attachment 360284

Throw in a rolled up tub for an even more authentic look :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Must admit this is an issue i have looked at a few times over the years , and sadly cant offer an answer i like @ChrisEyles suggestion a lot and have tried it on a couple of times , it works till you add a pair of waterproofs in the equation .

Also a lot of most pre 80's bikes dont have bottle mounts either

OP
OP
B

Bobtoo

Über Member
I did buy this from eBay a while back but decided it was too small.

34909735104_5c0a379df3_c.jpg

Maybe I should use it for the essentials (multitool, tyre levers and unboxed puncture repair kit and get a handlebar bag for the camera and provisions. I have a handlebar bag that came with a pair of rear panniers but it was missing its support frame.

This is the bike in question, for some reason the modern rear light doesn't offend me so much.

35264230450_87e08f6866_b.jpg

Top Bottom