Tool kit / tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason.T

As I'm looking to start servicing and maintaining my bike myself I'm looking to get either a tool kit or individual tools as I need them

If I get a tool kit then at the moment I'm looking at something at about £50-£60 as I've read so many bad reviews on really cheap ones

Any recommendations for the best kits around this prise

I'm also considering buying them seperatly as I need them, if I do this them I will probably go for higer end tools such as ones made by park

The first job I want to do is remove my bottom bracket and clean out some grit that has got I'm there

I've had a search in the internet for a park bottom bracket tool but there are a few different ones that come up and I don't know which one I need

If it helps I have a BB30 bottom bracket with a FSA grossamer crank set

Any one know which one I need?

Mo1959

Legendary Member

stumpy66

Veteran
I would buy them individually as you need them, buying the best quality you can. Saves you buying twice, buying a complete kit you end up witha few bits that are not suitable for your bike. Imho.

As to your bb question i dont know

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

I think I will go down the route of getting tools individually, at least I can get what I want then rather than a kit with half the contents that I will never use

Just need to find out which bottom bracket tool I need now

Peteaud

Veteran
Lidl kit is great for around £30.00 but bin the chain breaker as it is made from cheese and buy a decent one.

Other tools as and when required.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Think buying individually is the way to go and also buying quality

Looking at the park tools but still can't find out which crank tool I need

Anyone know???

Whilst I probably agree with Cycleops and Jason_T what I have done is buy the Aldi tool kit which meets my needs as I am a learner at bike maintenance. As I get more skilled I will then upgrade my tools as needed.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Buy individually. Buy each tool as you need it. You don't need to go as high end as Park by the way, plenty of "budget" but quality tools out there, such as BBB, Cyclo, and "own brands" like SUperstar Components and On One/Planet X do good tools for good money.

I'd recommend a set of T handled Hex wrenches, (Superstar) a decent cable cutter, a cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip. A chainsplitter, a decent set of pliers, and quicklink removal pliers would be a good bet.

As for your press-fit BB, well, you have the choice of paying around 40 quid for a BB30 drift, which removes the bearings in their shells, or, as a halfway measure, I'd remove the bearing shields, then the seals with a pick, flush and regrease them and refit the seals. If you have a workstand, you can do this with them still in the BB shell. If they're still graunchy after that, tehn maybe shop around for a BB30 drift and a bearing press to get it back in. Not cheap though. You can make a bearing press with some threaded bar, huge washers, and a couple of hex nuts.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Buy individually. Buy each tool as you need it. You don't need to go as high end as Park by the way, plenty of "budget" but quality tools out there, such as BBB, Cyclo, and "own brands" like SUperstar Components and On One/Planet X do good tools for good money.

I'd recommend a set of T handled Hex wrenches, (Superstar) a decent cable cutter, a cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip. A chainsplitter, a decent set of pliers, and quicklink removal pliers would be a good bet.

As for your press-fit BB, well, you have the choice of paying around 40 quid for a BB30 drift, which removes the bearings in their shells, or, as a halfway measure, I'd remove the bearing shields, then the seals with a pick, flush and regrease them and refit the seals. If you have a workstand, you can do this with them still in the BB shell. If they're still graunchy after that, tehn maybe shop around for a BB30 drift and a bearing press to get it back in. Not cheap though. You can make a bearing press with some threaded bar, huge washers, and a couple of hex nuts.
Excellent thanks for the advise will certainly take a look at some of your suggested tools

Apologies as maybe I'm confusing myself and you may have already answered my question and I'm being a bit dumb here but I'm not looking to remove the BB at this time I only wish to remove the crank set I know I need a crank puller and a crank bolt wrench but I just don't know which one I need

Cubist

Still wavin'
Excellent thanks for the advise will certainly take a look at some of your suggested tools

Apologies as maybe I'm confusing myself and you may have already answered my question and I'm being a bit dumb here but I'm not looking to remove the BB at this time I only wish to remove the crank set I know I need a crank puller and a crank bolt wrench but I just don't know which one I need
No, not a crank puller. You need a hollowtech preload nut tool,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-crank-install-tool-hollowtech-ii/rp-prod3785. That undoes the nylon star shaped cap on the non-drive side, and a 5mm hex wrench to remove the pinch bolts holding the crank arm onto the axle. . Then use a rubber faced mallet to tap the axle through once you've removed the pinch bolts.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

No, not a crank puller. You need a hollowtech preload nut tool,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-crank-install-tool-hollowtech-ii/rp-prod3785. That undoes the nylon star shaped cap on the non-drive side, and a 5mm hex wrench to remove the pinch bolts holding the crank arm onto the axle. . Then use a rubber faced mallet to tap the axle through once you've removed the pinch bolts.
Brilliant, thank you mate

I thought I needed these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/park-tool-cotterless-crank-puller-ccp22/rp-prod34314

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/park-tool-crank-wrench-ccw5/rp-prod11661

But shows how much I know

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Well after receiving the tools I needed ( cheers @Cubist ) I got my crank off but my worst fears were confirmed that it is my BB bearings that we're grinding

There was a bit if rusty coloured water in there so it went back to halfords yesterday as it's still under warranty, they did try saying that the bottom bracket bearings were not covered by the warranty but could see immediately by my face that I wasn't accepting that so they took about 20 seconds to change their mind so should be back with me by Monday

Top Bottom