Tool Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I may just order a replacement chain as a spare to add to my kit.

You'll be better of with a chain tool and a couple of spare links to get you home.

dnrc

Veteran
i just take the following:

spare tube
lezyne multi tool  (130g ish and has all tools i'm likely to need and a chain tool)
glueless patches
tyre levers
pump
powerlink

then cash/card, keys, phone and appropriate clothing.

kewb

go around your bike and check everything servicable at the roadside then take tools as required ,

i carry two hex keys/ screw driver  and skabs small enough to fit in my security pocket in shorts ,

if im on long trip i add chain tool and multi spanner ( the pressed steel kind )

anything else is pointless im not going to strip down rear cassette or headset at roadside lol and ive never seen it done either i might add ,

punctures got to be no 1 concern 2nd gears /brakes (hex key screw driver ) 

tbh most kits multi tools are over equipped for normal rides ,

a 20 mile ride say means your no more than ten mile from home or less from a lbs so why risk fixing anything complicated in less than ideal conditions when a brisk walk could see it fixed properly ?

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Thanks Sitting Duck for the link I've now firmly saved it to my favourites for further reading

Moodyman - Looking at new waterproofs atm any recommendations? Altura look reasonable and Gore are very expensive...doing coast and castles next June so want a good one but hopefully it won't be raining in June!

the_Mikey - Sounds like a sensible kit, I was thinking of using a mp3 just to take ones mind of them there hills there are only so many times one can recite the 'wheels of the bus go round and round' whilst climbing and wanting to kill someone.

Thanks everyone for the sound advise - just waiting for the school run to be over then I'm off out, my last ride was 25 miles today I'm upping it to 30 fingers crossed

:girl:

zacklaws

Guru
i carry two hex keys/ screw driver

tbh most kits multi tools are over equipped for normal rides ,

Spot on, I carry a small multi tool usually, but out of the 18 tools on it, I only need four of them, 4mm and 5mm Allen Keys, screwdriver and the chain tool. All the others tools would be for a major repair which is unlikely and then that leaves about 12 tools which will fit nothing on my bike, so likewise I carry only the four bits I need now and also puncture repair kit and spare innertube.

Topeak have recently brought out a new multi tool with 2 allen keys, 5mm and 6mm and a chain tool which would be ideal, but sadly one of the allen keys is too big 6mm and it has no screwdriver. I often think that one day a manufacturer will bring out the perfect multi tool kit, which can be broken down and only those parts you need carried for the bike your riding and the tools changed if necessary for a different bike, it would be even better if each item could be bought seperatly and then combined into your own multi tool, or you could order it to your specs.

Are you reading this anyone from topeak or anyone else involved in the manufacturing of multi tools

As an update just looked on the Topeak site and they do a survival kit in a small box, its just a case of removing the tools you do not want and there's room for puncture repair kit as well. I shall have to investigate and maybe purchase one, but at the end of the day I have the 4 items loose already that I need.

Matthames

Über Member
Fixing a spoke at the side of the road is less than ideal, it is a job you really want to be doing in the comfort of your own home. If you are unfortunate enough to pop a spoke whilst riding, you can always twist it around a neighbouring spoke as a get you home repair. If you don't think you have the strength in your fingers carry a pair of pliers with you.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I suppose the answer depends upon the type of ride you are going on.

For my commute I don't have any tools. The journey is only a few miles so if the worst comes to the worst I can walk home.

For weekend runs (20 - 50 miles) I have a small under-saddle bag which has:

• spare tube
  • patches and repair kit
  • 2 x CO2 cylinder to re-inflate
  • Multi-tool for adjustments
  • mobile phone, change and credit card
  • Depending on weather I might stuff waterproof jacket in pocket

For tours I pack a lot more, changes of clothes, locks, zip-ties, chain tool plus all the above and extra tubes and pump and a note of where local bike shops are.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Oh not again this come up from time to time

1 P*ncture repair kit
1 allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Cassette tool and chain whip
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for rear light and computer and bulbs
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves
but seeing your a girlie stand there looking helpless I'm sure someone would come to help you :rolleyes:

You forgot to add the kitchen sink!

kewb

Spot on, I carry a small multi tool usually, but out of the 18 tools on it, I only need four of them, 4mm and 5mm Allen Keys, screwdriver and the chain tool. All the others tools would be for a major repair which is unlikely and then that leaves about 12 tools which will fit nothing on my bike, so likewise I carry only the four bits I need now and also puncture repair kit and spare innertube.

Topeak have recently brought out a new multi tool with 2 allen keys, 5mm and 6mm and a chain tool which would be ideal, but sadly one of the allen keys is too big 6mm and it has no screwdriver. I often think that one day a manufacturer will bring out the perfect multi tool kit, which can be broken down and only those parts you need carried for the bike your riding and the tools changed if necessary for a different bike, it would be even better if each item could be bought seperatly and then combined into your own multi tool, or you could order it to your specs.

Are you reading this anyone from topeak  or anyone else involved in the manufacturing of multi tools

As an update just looked on the Topeak site and they do a survival kit in a small box, its just a case of removing the tools you do not want and there's room for puncture repair kit as well. I shall have to investigate and maybe purchase one, but at the end of the day I have the 4 items loose already that I need.

ive seen multi tools with up to 20 tools i dont think theres a single bike made that was assembled using that many different grub screws if there is assembly must be a nightmare lol 

on long trips its common sense to carry enough tools to get you home saving a few ounces by leaving that hardly used stem hex key or chain tool behind wont seem so clever on a moor road with no mobile signal ,

ive re set gears repaired puntures sorted out sticky brakes with my small but perfectly formed tool kit , i think individual ability and bike dictate a tool kit and that survival kit sounds like a good idea ,

i think like most peeps i started out carrying every imaginable tool and its only experience of what goes wrong and whats fixable that over the years has reduced all the clutter and unnecessary tools that just added weight and took up space that couldve been filled with chocolate (vital tool imho )  for example in ten years cycling mtb and road ive never bust a spoke so should i start carrying a spoke tool on normal rides ? nope i think odds are i wont need one and if i do i could easily limp home on the spokes that are left ,would i take twenty mins to fix a broken chain or 

just call home jump on a train or walk home ? chain tools awkward and a tad heavy in my cycling top so it stays at home also ,

but i would take 10 mins re setting gears using a hex key and driver that weigh nothing and take up no room .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When the Fairy visits...

Two pairs of "use once" latex gloves. Also, stash a couple of baby wipes in a "zip-top" sandwich bag. You can clean your hands when the gloves split.

zacklaws

Guru
and that survival kit sounds like a good idea ,

When I looked at the picture's I eventually noticed it is not that good, from the picture's for example, I can see the screwdriver is on the end of an allen key, so you may need the screwdriver but the allen key may not fit nothing on your bike so your back to square one of carrying things that you do not need.

sandman77

All I carry on my commute is a spare tube and a pump, I have learned how to get the tyre off and on without tyre levers and if anything worse than a puncture happens then I will either start walking, go to the nearest train station or phone my wife to come and get me in the car.

kewb

When I looked at the picture's I eventually noticed it is not that good, from the picture's for example, I can see the screwdriver  is on the end of an allen key, so you may need the screwdriver but the allen key may not fit nothing on your bike so your back to square one of carrying things that you do not need.
my screw driver (star or philips type as ive no flat end screws on bike ) is actually a "bit" one from a set that attaches to hex key that fits gears and 

a few other parts it fits smaller one (for brakes grips etc ) via an adapter which is kinda obsolete as i will be carrying both hex keys ,

why hasnt a tool manufacturer noticed this gap in market before its a really simple solution to saving space /weight i think ,

what about tyre levers with driver heads one flat one philips ? or spanner heads ? all helps save carrying extra tools .

kewb

All I carry on my commute is a spare tube and a pump, I have learned how to get the tyre off and on without tyre levers and if anything worse than a puncture happens then I will either start walking, go to the nearest train station or phone my wife to come and get me in the car.

five pound note = lightest most compact multi tool known to man lol .

Top Bottom