Tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Any adjustments I have to make on my bikes when using a multi tool is sometimes difficult because you can only make very small turns due to the size of the multi tool. I've noted in bike shops they use keys that are shaped like the number 7 (this is the best way I can describe them and hope you know what I mean!). Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can buy a number of different sized ones?

Thanks in advance

J

winjim

Smash the cistern
Those are 'P handle' or 'T handle' hex or Torx wrenches. Loads of options if you search, others may be able to recommend brands to look out for.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thanks. Are torx keys different from torque wrench?

Torx is a star shaped screw head like this:

553657-2a55a7c1dceb4500d2cf3f0f12569721.jpg

The tool for them is something like this: though screwdriver handled ones or attachments for socket sets also common

553659-04ccc29838a0c7d719f3264ebaa3c2a3.jpg

A torque wrench is a tool to do up a bolt to a specific tightness - something like this: or screwdriver handled for smaller bolts. Generally they go "click" when they reach the pre-set setting you've chosen

553658-e16c96c36b28ae4bde18d2704bfdd07a.png

Attachments

• torx.jpeg
    torx.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1
  • torque wrench.png
    torque wrench.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
  • torx drivers.jpeg
    torx drivers.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Something to be said for coloured keys because you will soon get to know which colour does the most common jobs you do.

Many bikes now have a mixture of hex head Allen bolts and Torx.

The latter being common on disc brake components.

You need a set of both, although there are two or three Torx sizes that are the most common.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Torx is a star shaped screw head like this:

View attachment 553869

The tool for them is something like this: though screwdriver handled ones or attachments for socket sets also common

View attachment 553870

A torque wrench is a tool to do up a bolt to a specific tightness - something like this: or screwdriver handled for smaller bolts. Generally they go "click" when they reach the pre-set setting you've chosen

View attachment 553871
That's what I thought -thanks

Top Bottom