"top 10 of things that keep cycling safe"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Chris Boardman famously called something "not even in the top 10 of things that keep cycling safe" a few years ago (please don't discuss that thing here!) but what are those top 10?

Someone asked me elsewhere. I've got my suspicions but not that much evidence for some of them. I expect Mr Boardman was making a point rather than referring to a list, but does such a top 10 actually exist?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not sure what the rest of the top 10 are, but coming straight in at #1 this week, we have.....

Drivers who actually know how to DRIVE; properly, and with consideration for other people using the road.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think at the moment ‘luck’ is probably in the top 3.

However, in no particular order.

Consideration for other humans
Driver skill/training
Correct infrastructure (either segregated or well maintained, well designed roads)
Appropriate rules and punishments
Rider skill/training

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd lump @raleighnut's one into Driver Training and @I like Skol's working brakes into Rider Training, but my list was basically @Milkfloat's except I'd split "correct infrastructure" into five points (junction designs, the easy bits alongside big roads, replacing door zone lanes, removing crash hazards like bins and poles, maintenance - but hey, it's really really important), then I'd added:
- Safety In Numbers (whereas I think @booze and cake's suggestion reduces that!),
- 20mph where you have to cycle with cars and
- lights to see with at night.

I've only really got evidence for Safety in Numbers and 20mph though. The rest are even more debatable.

I wonder what we've all missed...

Top Bottom