Top compression bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelb

Hi

Just got a second hand Claud Butler San Remo, have fiddled with what I believe is the top compression bolt (mistakenly thought I could raise the handlebars), can anyone advise me how it should be set, or do I really need to take it to a bike shop?

Don't want to damage things, but equally really want to go riding tomorrow!

Any guidance/advice on setting this bike up would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

bonj2

If you haven't undone the stem clamp bolts, then you can just put it back and tighten it not that tight, and it'll be fine. The top cap bolt's only purpose is to ACHIEVE a position in the first place, rather than to MAINTAIN it, like a lot of bolts are. If that makes sense. The stem clamp bolts do the job of maintaining the compression that the top cap bolt creates.
To raise the handlebars you will need to put more spacers under the stem, but you need to make sure there is enough steerer coming through the stem* for the stem clamp bolts to grip.
To do that, you would take the stem off (by undoing the stem clamp bolts), put spacers on, then when putting it back, put the top cap on, tighten it quite tight but not overtight (this compresses everything up) and then tighten the stem clamp bolts. Once the stem clamp bolts are tight, the top cap bolt has done its job, but is left there just to hold the top cap on (only for safety/aesthetics/keeping water out, as opposed to an integral part of the structure of the bike).

*If there isn't, or anyway, you may be able to get a stem with a higher 'rise', or even just flip your current one over if it's got a negative rise. Failing that you need forks with a longer steerer.

jimboalee

+1.

Dont forget to lube it. It is a nice little water trap.

Stems are available with many different reach and angles.

AHead set - Best thing for years. Change reach and angle very easily.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Hi

I did also loosen te stem clamp bolts, was able to raise the handlebars a bit, but then couldn't keep that rise when I tightened the compression bolt (which now makes perfect sense, thanks :-) ).

What sort of lubricant should I be using?

This bike doesn't look like its been maintained at all, what's it like replacing the bearings?

Cheers

Nige

bonj2

ah.
Apply compression then tighten the stem bolts. If there's play in it, then it'll more than likely need a new headset.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Hi

In fact, as posted elsewhere, I emailed Falcon Cycles and got some very friendly help. Reset the compression bolt (basically loosened the clamping bolts, loosened the compression screw, turned the wheel sideways, and rocked the bike backwards and forwards against the front tyre, feeling the play. I then tightened the compression bolt, a little at a time, until that play disappeared, then tightened the clamping bolts again).

Have done the above, and it now turns easily with no play I can detect. Went for a ride this pm and all's well afaik.

What lube should I use on it, and where?

I'm starting to realise that I'm in a completely different world with this bike to anything I've had before - will ask in future before I fiddle!

Nige

RedBike

To raise the handle bars you need to either....

Take spacers from above the stem and put them below it.
Or
Flip the stem over so that it is pointing upwards instead of flat/downwards.

To refit everything simply put all the spacers back on. Re-tighten the top cap to squash everything together. Tighten the stem bolts.

Top Bottom