Top gear ...North Pole and stuff like that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it was captain slow, in lisbon.

Mr Phoebus

Tim Bennet. said:
But in the car / downhill bike challenge, the driver wasn't JC.

Obviously if 'he' had been driving, the result.....etc, etc

The result: Clarkson would've ran the bike rider over and said "he deserved it, besides he wasnt wearing Hi-viz" :thumbsup:

mosschops2

The car doesn't always win - on the marathon through london at rush hour, didn't the runner win??

(I could be mistaken actually....)

IMHO is wouldn't be any less entertaining if the car lost - if anything more entertaining - so I would doubt that the races are fixed on the basis of "entertainment".....

MsMalfoy

mosschops2 said:
The car doesn't always win - on the marathon through london at rush hour, didn't the runner win??

(I could be mistaken actually....)

IMHO is wouldn't be any less entertaining if the car lost - if anything more entertaining - so I would doubt that the races are fixed on the basis of "entertainment".....

Yup the runner won, and the rather yummy climbers beat him up and down the mountain fair and square.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure he has, can't remember which time though. How about the amphi-car challenge? He sank, as I remember. Mind you, the various scoring systems often flip the result on the basis of 'style' or something...

But in a race... Not sure. I think he often 'ought to' have, like the trip to Oslo, but the other guys' boat blew up.. I think if someone always wins on the basis of luck like that, most people see that they actually ought to have lost...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
fair and square ?

It's just fantasy TV and so much so that I'm sure the production company would say they are not misleading anyone as everyone knows it's just entertainment. 'Boys Own Adventure' cartoons brought to life.

The sequences at Verdon took days to film. Even the premise is slightly spurious as there is no road that goes all the way to the bottom there. There's no denying Leo Houlding is a superb climber, but he is the first to admit this was no documentary, it was a publicity / money earner for him that they grabbed with both hands.

I just think some of these 'informercials' for the car are a bit weak and the crass incorporation of their 'screw the planet' message is unnecessary. Last night they were a little too casual in their differentiation between the magnetic north pole and the North Pole. Getting to one is still a great challenge, the other is a remote point in north Canada, on firm land, where you can take a guided trekking trip from any number of holiday companies. So the message was 'Hey look, we (with massive back up) have driven to somewhere to which other people have walked on their holidays'. Wow.

It's like saying the magnetic summit of Everest is in Hyde Park and then claiming you have proved that climbing Everest is no big deal because you've just driven there.

MsMalfoy

I don't think anyone actually considers it to be a serious 'documentary' type programme, it's entertainment pure and simple, of course the pieces they show, the 'challenges' are scripted to a greater or lesser degree as is the outcome in all probability, Top Gear is no less entertaining for that though.

I'm no advocate of the car either, my personal attitudes to cars would be considered extreme by many. I've managed withiout one for the past 34 years, my o/h for the past 38. My 10 year old son is car obsessed though.
TG is still great tele.

Big Bren

It's a load of toilet. How anyone can be entertained by Top Gear anymore is totally beyond me, as is the habit that most otherwise right-minded folk have slipped into, of calling the presenters by their laddish nicknames as if they're all great mates.

I'd rather peel my own fingernails off.

Bren

LLB

Big Bren said:
It's a load of toilet. How anyone can be entertained by Top Gear anymore is totally beyond me, as is the habit that most otherwise right-minded folk have slipped into, of calling the presenters by their laddish nicknames as if they're all great mates.

I'd rather peel my own fingernails off.

Bren

That would be funny, Can you get someone to film it and upload the footage to Utube next time TG is on ?

MsMalfoy

They should do that as a challenge, see if you can peel your fingernails off faster than Clarkson can while attempting to break the reverse quarter mile record in a Bugatti Veyron.

Big Bren

I'll do it if Mr Clarkson will do the drive in a rocket car - I'm pretty sure that West Yorkshire Air Ambulance won't be able to pull it out of the bag a second time.

Bren

Top Bottom