Top Gear

Do you like Top Gear?

• Yes, either as a "show" or for the motoring aspect, it's entertaining!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I despise what the programme is about and avoid it at all costs.

• Don't watch it so couldn't care less

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

[quote name='swee'pea99']I think you could be onto something there Mr Pig.[/quote]

He actually the cleverest and most talented of the three of them, that's why the other two put him down all the time.

U

User482

Clarkson is also better at doing documentaries on subjects he's passionate about than he is on Top Gear.

Yes, did you see him do the piece on Brunel for the Greatest Britons contest? He was a revelation...

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't watch it regularily as I'm usually doing something else on a Sunday evening but I do like it if I can watch. It's not about cars anymore, it's just pure entertainment.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ianrauk said:
Have only seen clips of a couple of episodes and one full episode, one of the specials when they went to the north pole. It's far too scripted imo, but that seems to be the norm with TV shows these days.

I think you'd find a lack of scripting would lead to terrible television. Very few people can carry off entertaining, or even interesting, comment all the time, ad lib. Look at so many threads on here for a start....

I love Top Gear. Even on my little B/W telly, I can see the photography is brilliant - some of the shots of Tornado in the train/car/bike race were wonderful. The fast cars are mindlessly dull, as are most of the stars in reasonably priced cars - unless it's someone I'm interested in. But the challenges are fantastic. I tend to prefer the stupid build/destroy a car ones to the races, but in all of them, the 'chemistry' between the three is superb - who cares if it's scripted? Laurel and Hardy were scripted, Hancock was scripted etc etc...

I'll never forget the time they tested the seals on old British cars by filling them up with water, and the Rover got about 10 yards before the doors just blew off.

And the amphi-cars channel challenge.... And the African one. Oliver the Opel Cadet, BTW, now stares in Richard Hammond's Blast Lab on CBBC. Not that I wake up specially on Saturday mornings to watch it.

It's a good thing I don't have freeview, I'd just watch Dave 24/7.

Billloudon

accountantpete said:
Sorry I have only had the misfortune to read the piss poor drivel in the Saturday Telegraph - he may be better elsewhere(no pun intended).

Sorry, pete but I think I see your problem.... you read the Telrgraph;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Pig said:
Talking of formats, I've often thought that James May would be a stunningly good chat show host. He's intelligent and articulate yet not pompous or overbearing in any way. I think he could successfully interview a very wide range of people from cinema stars to inventors and explorers. A worthy sucsesor to Parkinson, unlike that tosser Ross.

I think you are right.

Sittingduck said:
I like Top Gear :blush:
Yes but mainly the challenges and mucking around... I'm not watching it for the cars ... that's why I wish they actually tried the April Fool's idea if only for one program and did it all about bikes.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I like Top Gear. It's become a bit padded though. I don't have so much of a problem with star in a reasonably priced car as their current version of news, which has got very stale and watered down. Probably noticed it more as they've had an overun in at least one of the episodes so thought ah, they can chop that out. The A1 from this series was great, the postal challenge was pretty lame and didn't seem shot very well and the bulldog thing probably could have done with more material. Still a great programme, a few structural issues though.

Top Bottom