Top Gear

Do you like Top Gear?

• Yes, either as a "show" or for the motoring aspect, it's entertaining!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I despise what the programme is about and avoid it at all costs.

• Don't watch it so couldn't care less

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

Morning all,

I am curious to see what people's thoughts are on this entertainment programme (I think "motoring" is no longer really applicable!). I personally see it as light entertainment and I quite enjoy their random challenges etc.

Clarkson is obviously the most provacative of the trio, but I find his highly opinionated attitude quite a refreshing change from all the PC audited media output, although that doesn't mean that I agree with everything he says though.:rolleyes:

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this forum?

Renard

yashicamat said:
Morning all,

I am curious to see what people's thoughts are on this entertainment programme (I think "motoring" is no longer really applicable!). I personally see it as light entertainment and I quite enjoy their random challenges etc.

Clarkson is obviously the most provacative of the trio, but I find his highly opinionated attitude quite a refreshing change from all the PC audited media output, although that doesn't mean that I agree with everything he says though.:rolleyes:

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this forum?

Pretty much what you said.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
It's funny. Though the only decent bits are the challenges these days. All fast cars are fast and look the same racing around the track, and the 'star in a...' is boring.

And now that Clarkson has lost all respectability as a motoring journalist, it's less of a risk. Everyone knows he's just a clown now, and are less likely to take him seriously.

Exactly, the challenges are about the only decent bit, and about the only bit i pay attention to.
Star in a .................... is absolutly boring/crap i think.

But i watch it and like it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think it contributes to the attitude motorists in this country have to motoring law, speed &c, but it's just one factor out of many.

Not interested in it, heard it's a nice earner for the Beeb though.

John: +1 on the attitudes thing.

I don't choose to watch it, but daughter likes it so if it's on tv and I'm in the room, I'll find myself following along for a while. There are parts of it that don't mean anything to me - the testing of fast cars for one (yawn - time to make a coffee) - but sometimes it can be funny, and I likes a larf. And I do wonder from the limited bits I've seen just how scripted the interactions between the 3 leads are.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I like it, and i only drive at the weekend, so not exactly a petrolhead.

Some of the photography they do is beautiful, all polarised filters and super slow-motion. Remember the one at Pendine Sands with the Jaguar? Fantastic.

I know most of it is rigged, like the BMXs in Budapest, but great viewing all the same.

MajorMantra

I think Clarkson's a complete cock and he does help foster some very antisocial tendencies in people's attitudes as John says, but I still enjoy Top Gear overall. I do actually really like cars and I find James May quite sympathetic.

The one thing that annoys me apart from Clarkson is the pretense that many of the 'accidents' that occur during the challenges are spontaneous and unscripted when they so blatantly aren't. I'm not dumb enough to think that TV isn't mostly staged so why pretend that it isn't?

Matthew

Mostly I like it, 'the star in...' bit is starting to get boring. The whole format was very fresh and different when new but has lost a lot of that with familiarity (don't think the endless repeats on 'Dave' helps that) and it hasn't really changed since the first show, apart from the James May coming in to takeover from the fat bloke. Must be difficult to keep coming up with new ideas every series.

And I do wonder from the limited bits I've seen just how scripted the interactions between the 3 leads are.

Don't know if he still does all of it but Clarkson writes most of it.

MajorMantra said:
I think Clarkson's a complete cock and he does help foster some very antisocial tendencies in people's attitudes as John says, but I still enjoy Top Gear overall. I do actually really like cars and I find James May quite sympathetic.

The one thing that annoys me apart from Clarkson is the pretense that many of the 'accidents' that occur during the challenges are spontaneous and unscripted when they so blatantly aren't. I'm not dumb enough to think that TV isn't mostly staged so why pretend that it is?

Matthew

Absolute nonsense. You don't have to be behind the wheel of a car to behave like a total knob. Take a walk through any town centre at kicking out time on friday or saturday night and you will see people behaving like total tools whilst nowhere near a car.

Ben M

I bloody love Top Gear.

That said I am a petrolhead, and I love both James May and Clarkson's writings, so of course I'm going to love TG.

MajorMantra

very-near said:
Absolute nonsense. You don't have to be behind the wheel of a car to behave like a total knob. Take a walk through any town centre at kicking out time on friday or saturday night and you will see people behaving like total tools whilst nowhere near a car.

Um, did I say you did?

I wasn't talking about that kind of anti-social behaviour. Clarkson (both on Top Gear and in his various writings) espouses a certain kind of willfully ignorant screw-the-environment, screw-the-law, Daily Mail attitude that can be amusing but which more often than not comes across as downright immature.

Matthew

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I have reluctantly had to say yes.Despite the badly rigged "races",the over-emphasis on "performance" and the two talentless sidekicks, Jeremy Clarkson is a great television presenter.

Top Bottom