Top Gear RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It was of its time, similar to magazines like Nuts and Loaded. I went to the filming of an episode about 20 years ago (had a connection to the assistant producer) and it was very much can the pretty young girls stand in the front row and laugh when prompted. The original top gear was a totally different program. There will be some new version in the future. James May said he thinks there will be a reincarnation of the name with a different format. Will they keep the TG brand who knows.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The Tory press once used the show to attack the BBC shortly after Evans took over. One Tory rag moaned about him skidding about in a sports car near the Cenotaph & found someone in a nearby MOD office to say it was 'disrespectful'...despite the blasted thing being in the middle of a road and having thousands of vehicles pass it every day. The only funny thing about Top Gear was the title which always raised a smile amongst weed smokers :okay: .

Jeremy Clarkson is there, proper TG presenter:okay:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

"You have to clip them twice a year otherwise their woolly hair gets clogged up with all the **** that comes out their mouth see"

Edit: ******** **** *** **!

OMG I'd forgotten how good that was (and very prescient with the Clarkson Farm ... ). Nice nod to the WHicker Island original sketch too 👍

Who is the 3rd comedian/actor in the clip?? I really should know him ...

OMG I'd forgotten how good that was (and very prescient with the Clarkson Farm ... ). Nice nod to the WHicker Island original sketch too 👍

Who is the 3rd comedian/actor in the clip?? I really should know him ...

I could make it easy on ourselves and look it up but I'll let someone put us out our misery.

For some reason I always thought this was a Fast Show sketch but no its Harry Enfield.

He was on Top Gear as well:

View: https://youtu.be/7FpqjF-2WgM?feature=shared

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And on that bombshell...

Shouldn't it be...

1700687774635.gif

(One for the Dacia Sandero fans)

a.twiddler

Veteran
It was a thing of its time, and I sat through numerous episodes during the Clarkson, May, Hammond era because the kids wanted to watch it. They played to the audience, Clarkson in particular though despite his natural inclination to be a condescending, opinionated twerp I was pleasantly surprised how he came across when he did his stint as presenter for Millionaire when he came across as supportive and less abrasive, even empathetic. The trio have shown since that they have more to them than the two dimensional characters they portrayed in Top Gear.

No doubt the BBC will resurrect it in some format in the future as it's been good for them in the past but it's probably never going to attract the audiences it used to, as an increasing number of drivers just see a car as an appliance. The programme title will become meaningless in a more distant future. With the rise of electric cars there will probably come a time when kids will ask, "what's a gear,daddy?" along with anachronisms such as choke knobs, advance/retard levers, mixture controls and exhaust pipes.

Clarkson was absolutely vile talking about Megan Markle. I know he's a buffoon but that was way too much.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Never watched it since Clarkson go the heave ho.

He didn't.

They just didn't renew his contract, after he punched the director and called him an "Irish c*nt" after having a hissy fit because the hotel kitchen was closed when he came back late, having been on the p!ss all afternoon.

"Some say this is racially aggravated assault..."

Top Bottom