Top Gear RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It died when Jeremy Clarkson left

dicko

Guru
I preferred Top Gear back in the 70s/80s/90s when it was a program about cars and motorcycles.These are proper Top Gear presenters back when the show was about cars and most people could fix their own car in the street outside their house.

Attachments

• IMG_2131.png
    IMG_2131.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 15

Drago

Legendary Member
Bring back Chris Goffey.

And that idiot William Woolard, who in the same episode described a 150MPH Honda motorcycle as "lethal" and a 160MPH Lotus car as "good for the British car industry."

That old crew knew nob all about cars and would perpetuate untrue stereotypes (VW reliability, Saab buyers all being architects, etc) in a smug voice. The three Amigos knew that wasn't going to win viewers so came up with the arsing about format which was quite entertaining, although probably coming to the end of the shelf life by the time they went.

In Clarksons position I'd have probably punched the producer too. It wasn't unprovoked as the BBC like to report. It had indeed started with a petty argument about a meal, but ended with the producer making a disparaging remark to Clarkson about his wife who had just left him. I don't condone violence but if some little pipsqueak punched my buttons like that I'd probably poke him the same.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It died when Jeremy Clarkson left

More like when he , Hammond and may took over it died

I don't have a TV license so don't watch the BBC. However must admit I've watched that video on youtube with the reliant robin space shuttle a few times. Still impressed with that. No interest in the BBC nowadays although do watch episodes of Impossible when I go around to my mother's house who lives nearby. I'm a huge scifi fan but can't stand modern Dr Who and even if I did like it I wouldn't pay £160 or whatever it is for one series. Ultimately the BBC has destroyed one of their top TV franchises which drops the value of the TV license even more. A serious chunk of the TV license now is just going towards their pension shortfall because before 2012 or 2010 they offered ridiculously generous pensions despite being funded by forced taxation pretty much. I think its something like 80% of their pension pot is for 40% of their staff so logically 60% of staff share 20% of pension resources such is the downgrading of their pensions. The pension shortfall is a huge burden on BBC finances.

4 or 5 years now I haven't had a TV license so its a saving of £700-800 and my only regret is not stopping my TV license earlier.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I preferred Top Gear back in the 70s/80s/90s when it was a program about cars and motorcycles.These are proper Top Gear presenters back when the show was about cars and most people could fix their own car in the street outside their house.
All except for that pranit Quentin ('two L's) Willson. My god was he annoying.

I started watching when it was about reviews of cars people with a modicum of disposable income would look at. Growing up our family skipped the heavy drop in value from driving a car off the forecourt and bought fairly new second hand. Never really used that original car review show for that. It got boring very quickly.

Then Clarkson took it over after the previous pause and it became about entertainment without informing anyone on cars they might want. Indeed they took the mick out of normal cars. Good for a few years but it got boring too.

Still, at least it wasn't 5th gear. A pointless name now considering even my vivaro van has 6 forward gears! A terrible programme though.

It's a shame it's only a pause and could come back.

Top Bottom