Top Gear RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Clarkson, May and Hammond worked well together, I think they had a good run. You could tell it went downhill after that as they tried to re-brand it with various other presenters (Chris Evans? Matt LeBlanc etc) but I never watched those properly. I can see how reviewing run of the mill cars would get boring, especially as the masses these days who buy new cars are more interested in infotainment screens and cup holders.

The move towards pratting about in high performance cars, or flogging a banger across a foreign country, is the adventure card that needed playing but after a while you can only play that hand so many times. And of course they carried that on with Grand Tour which was popular.

I won't be sad if it never comes back

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
More like when he , Hammond and may took over it died

Yes, I agree. It used to be a show about reviewing cars, but Clarkson & Co turned it into a boys own joke with ever-increasingly stupid stunts culminating in Hammond's near-demise, now Flintoff. They did one daft stunt bungee-jumping a car, just a matter of time before someone dies - remember the Late Late Breakfast Show tragedy when a member of the public died trying a stunt?.

I quite liked it in parts . I didn't like it when they made out that British made cars would fall apart. The time when they filled the cars up with water is one which really got up my nose. A car door wouldn't just fall off . Hinge pins were removed and so was a wiring loom and check strap. For a car to even move with tons of water in it was an achievement in itself!
I thought that the Reliant space shuttle was a really good programme. It looked like it was a spoof but it actually happened .
I think the producers went too far in their stunts. The Freddie Flintoff Metro on the dam was a step too far! He must have had a lot of nerve to take on that challenge.

The Freddie Flintoff Metro on the dam was a step too far! He must have had a lot of nerve to take on that challenge.

Perhaps time to recap events:
(from that Guardian article)

The former England cricket captain turned broadcaster was taken to hospital by air ambulance last December after the high-speed crash at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey, which has featured regularly in the BBC show since 2002. It was not his first accident, having previously lost control of a motorised trike at 124mph in a race against co-hosts Chris Harris and Paddy McGuinness.

The decision to take the motoring show off screens came after the findings of an external BBC health and safety investigation were delivered. The findings will not be published. A separate health and safety report which looked at previous series of Top Gear found that “there were important learnings” for the way the programme was produced.

The BBC apologised to the presenter after the 2022 accident and reached a financial settlement with him reportedly in the region of £9m. Flintoff has been seen in public with facial injuries, while his legal team told the Sun that he was still recovering from “life-altering injuries”.

Flintoff appears in public while helping the England cricketing team prepare to face Ireland in September 2023.

Flintoff appears in public while helping the England cricketing team prepare to face Ireland in September 2023. Photograph: Darren Staples/AFP/Getty Images
Flintoff’s is the not first severe accident to have affected the health of a presenter. Richard Hammond, who presented the series alongside Jeremy Clarkson and James May in the 2000s and early 2010s, was severely injured at York’s Elvington airfield in 2006 when a dragster he was driving spun while travelling at 288mph. Doctors described him as having suffered a “significant brain injury” after the accident. He had been driving the jet-propelled vehicle in an attempt to break the British land speed record. He spent a fortnight in a coma.

Yes, I agree. It used to be a show about reviewing cars, but Clarkson & Co turned it into a boys own joke with ever-increasingly stupid stunts culminating in Hammond's near-demise, now Flintoff. They did one daft stunt bungee-jumping a car, just a matter of time before someone dies - remember the Late Late Breakfast Show tragedy when a member of the public died trying a stunt?.

I always said it'd end when they killed someone. I was close.
Their fascination with speed baffles me. I've no idea why 0-60 times are so important - it's never come into my driving life.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
perpetuate untrue stereotypes
Oh the irony.
All Clarkson, Hammond and May ever did was play up to stereotypes. It was literally their USP.

I preferred Top Gear back in the 70s/80s/90s when it was a program about cars and motorcycles.These are proper Top Gear presenters back when the show was about cars and most people could fix their own car in the street outside their house.

Jeremy Clarkson is there, proper TG presenter:okay:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

"You have to clip them twice a year otherwise their woolly hair gets clogged up with all the **** that comes out their mouth see"

Edit: ******** **** *** **!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I watched a full episode once. From memory that would have been the 1990s. Around the time when Chris Evans was being annoying on telly. Back when our telly was a grey portable with built in VHS (fancy!) and I was working in a portakabin next to a sewage works.

It was bollocks, so I never watched it again, but it's one of those things you can't avoid so I do know who the presenters are and catchphrases and stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom