Top road sign!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I especially liked the bigger font for the NOT!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Doesn't stop them trying though!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
your road position will :okay:
Optimist... Your road position should!

I have had people make it pretty clear that they are getting past me one way or another...

I had an oncoming 4x4 driver aim straight at me on a singletrack road on the Isle of Mull. I thought that I would negotiate safe passage by slowing down as I rode towards him in the middle of the road, intending to pull over and squeeze past when he slowed to walking pace. He thought otherwise and accelerated. It was a game of chicken that I'm sure would have killed me if I hadn't 'blinked' first. I waited for a sign that he was slowing down but he just kept going faster. I just managed to get out of his way in time and he went by with inches to spare.

I was on the road between Newlyn and Penzance once. The road was narrowed by roadworks and I had a green light. White Van Man at the far end of the roadworks obviously spotted the fact there was only a cyclist in his way and jumped the red light. He drove straight at me too. I gesticulated towards the traffic light but he just laughed, 'gave me the finger', and accelerated. Again, I wasn't willing to die to prove my point. I had to swerve out of his way and stop.

Biggest psycho prize probably goes to the idiot who drove up behind me on a singletrack descent. I was doing about 40 mph when I heard a noise behind me. I quickly glanced over my shoulder and found a car a few inches from my back wheel, with a cackling moron at the wheel.

Never underestimate the idiocy/psychopathy of some drivers!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
your road position will :okay:

I have had people make it pretty clear that they are getting past me one way or another...

I had an oncoming 4x4 driver aim straight at me on a singletrack road on the Isle of Mull. I thought that I would negotiate safe passage by slowing down as I rode towards him in the middle of the road, intending to pull over and squeeze past when he slowed to walking pace. He thought otherwise and accelerated. It was a game of chicken that I'm sure would have killed me if I hadn't 'blinked' first. I waited for a sign that he was slowing down but he just kept going faster. I just managed to get out of his way in time and he went by with inches to spare.

I was on the road between Newlyn and Penzance once. The road was narrowed by roadworks and I had a green light. White Van Man at the far end of the roadworks obviously spotted the fact there was only a cyclist in his way and jumped the red light. He drove straight at me too. I gesticulated towards the traffic light but he just laughed, 'gave me the finger', and accelerated. Again, I wasn't willing to die to prove my point. I had to swerve out of his way and stop.

Biggest psycho prize probably goes to the idiot who drove up behind me on a singletrack descent. I was doing about 40 mph when I heard a noise behind me. I quickly glanced over my shoulder and found a car a few inches from my back wheel, with a cackling moron at the wheel.

Indeed! I didn't want to say it but that is a rather innocent and optimistic view from MontyVeda.
I am far from shy and retiring when on my bike and riding in traffic, but there is always some nutjob in a vehicle who just doesn't give a damn and will drive at you assuming you will choose self preservation and get out of the way.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In contrast to the doom and gloom, on my ride today, a man in a large, white van reversed about 40 - 50m up a 10% slope on a single track road I was cycling up to avoid my having to stop. I indicated gratitude very clearly :smile:
Yes, sensible and considerate drivers do exist and I always say thanks when they are nice to me!

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I was cogitating on your post re the 4x4 on Isle of Mull and remembered a similar incident I had last summer. A 4x4 came straight at me on the Loch na Keal road mouthing what I presume were obscenities as he passed. Not anyone I recognised so probably a shooting tourist. The probable cause of his rage appeared some time later as I had got back to my car and was driving back on the B8035 towards Salen a straggle of cyclists appeared all dressed for the arctic circle and by the look of the bikes were Dutch or German. There must have been at least 40 of them in single file [as I lost count eventually ]spread over a long stretch of road struggling up a slight hill with blind bends between passing places. Nothing could get past them as they did not recognise passing places and it must have been about half an hour before I could get moving. While I cannot condone the 4x4 behaviour, after all he had a go at me as well, I can understand the cause of his rage.

Top Bottom