Top Speed- According to Garmin......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bollo said:
Don't worry, there'll be someone along in a minute to claim 5000mph.

Uphill

On a fixed.

Into a headwind.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Mehh... that's just one of the Garmin's "features". ;) I have the Edge 705 and it's done that to me once or twice.

Seriously, though; I have a list of the Garmin Edge 705's shortcomings, and I bloody well hope they fix the majority of them in the next model, or I may not buy it.

• Barometric altimeter - what the hell were they thinking? This is so susceptible to weather, I've been 70 metres underground and by the bay side simultaneously. Why can't they just use the GPS-provided elevation?
  • Heading data field only shows 8 of the cardinal heading points, but could easily show 3-digit headings.
  • The calories calculation isn't even close to being accurate, typically being about 50-60% over the correct value.
  • Odometer only records mileage when the trip timer is on. It should record all mileage, or at least allow the user to view total mileage vs. total trip timer mileage.
  • Backlight settings aren't saved between power cycles.
  • The handlebar mount needs to be more secure, and a bit more robust. The plastic release lever breaks a bit too easily.
  • On long trips (e.g. day trips), you may need to plug in an external charger. The only problem is: as soon as you unplug it the bloody Garmin powers down. This has the side-effect of inserting a lap split in your trip data.
  • The GSC-10 cadence sensor is way too susceptible to moisture, and needs to be properly waterproofed.
  • The Grade data field occasionally blanks out for no apparent reason. This can be restored by cycling the power, but of course (as mentioned above) this inserts a lap split in the trip data.
  • The data format generated by the Edge doesn't include pauses (even though apparently other portable sports computers do include these). I'm no expert on this particular feature, I just saw mention of it on the SportTracks online discussion forum.

I've had the Garmin Edge 705 for over 18 months now, and I'm on my 2nd GSC-10 cadence sensor. I like using the Edge, but I hope Garmin fix some of the above problems! ;)

Regards,

--- Victor.

GPS Elevation is rubbish, it jitters just as much as speed, I've used ones with and without barometers side by side and and the baro is nice and smooth, not a jumble of steps.
It does use the GPS to help it calibrate by averaging out (which is safe, and also the way it does the automatic wheel size, which is best to measure still). A good comparison (if one suddenly changes/spikes.. it's wrong) would help spikes, but this is too clever for Garmin.

Half of these problems occur on the 305 too, Garmin don't give a toss.

Try this... delete part of your lap and the file will still output the whole track... it will put the deleted part of the track into the left over lap section, it's stupid. Apparently you shouldn't delete the lap on the unit if you plan to use it on the machine (although the unit still uses the TOTAL time of all the laps).

Calorific calculations are rubbish anyway.

Another issue I have, is it will display your wheel speed, but won't record it if GPS fix is present, i'd rather the wheel speed be stored (or both).

Pauses are removed in the "total moving time" calculation.

I can show the numeric bearing on my 305 :/

Next unit, i'm not bothering with Garmin, their old products were ace, but their name doesn't really apply to these "consumer" units.

jonny jeez said:
were you sitting on your bike at the time, because that would definitely count;)

If the train was going 186mph... and you cycled up it the other way, your speed would drop the faster you went :tongue:

I'm looking forward to the first cyclist to hit escape velocity*, and launch himself/herself into orbit. In fact I'll have the telescope ready, looking for BSO's zooming across our skies...

*about 40,000 Km/h.

Top Bottom