Top Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Surprisingly when I was doing the 38 mph I wasn't clinging on for dear life; I was begging the bike to go faster and was very relaxed about it to. A bike becomes a lot more stable the faster it goes.

I think my confidence to ride at speed probably comes from riding motorbikes. It has also taught me how to brake properly to so I have the confidence to be able to stop quickly.

GrasB

Veteran
When you start getting to the higher speeds you need to move about the bike on the corners, kinda like you're on a motorbike. As for brakes, get the rim/pad combination sorted & you'll be surprised how effective the brakes can be. Then it's just learning how to use that power to stop effectively.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Matthames said:
Surprisingly when I was doing the 38 mph I wasn't clinging on for dear life; I was begging the bike to go faster and was very relaxed about it to. A bike becomes a lot more stable the faster it goes.

I think my confidence to ride at speed probably comes from riding motorbikes. It has also taught me how to brake properly to so I have the confidence to be able to stop quickly.

+1 on that point, although I'm not sure if its yhe motorcycle rider in me or the ex MTB'er, either way, I do actually feel at ease in the mid 30's (even catching air on the odd occasion with speed humps etc) but 48!!!, not sure my nerves would hold out..... after all, what If I met "me" coming the other way?:angry:

GrasB

Veteran
In the space of 4 days in the Alps I went from "35mph is a bit quick" to "hum... I can smell the brake blocks, I'd better back off". I was very surprised at how good my V's are but the amount of material taken off the rim was insane. I'm needing a new wheel set now, trashed rear & front rim is under 0.8mm thick, this time I'm going for a front disc.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
chap said:
If I reached 40mph on my Brompton, I suspect I would embarrass myself by screaming like a little girl. I love the bike, but it is not designed for such high speeds, due to the wheels.

If pot-holes were non-existent however...

Have you seen the October issue of C+? They managed to get a Brompton up to 50mph on the flat...

As a point of interest the current world land speed record for a bicycle is 166mph and the British record stands at 110mph, anyone fancy pushing the envelope??

Cubist

Still wavin'
GrasB said:
When you start getting to the higher speeds you need to move about the bike on the corners, kinda like you're on a motorbike. As for brakes, get the rim/pad combination sorted some disc brakes & you'll be surprised how effective the brakes can be. Then it's just learning how to use that power to stop effectively.

Fixed it for you

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Downhill on the Furai, I top out at 47.8mph. That's my 'grab the brake' point.

The SMGTe builds speed a little slower, but goes a fair whack faster. Its heavier, so gives a more confident ride. The cycle computer aboard says "E" which I'm guessing is reasonably quick.

scouserinlondon

This thread has got me thinking.

I've been toying with a cycle computer for ages now, and was reminded of my ponderings when I got a sad face for going at 32 on saturday when I didn't event think I was tonking along that fast.

Do you guys find you get a bit obsessed with times though? I'd be concerned i'd turn into a muppet just to improve my average speed.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
scouserinlondon said:
This thread has got me thinking.

I've been toying with a cycle computer for ages now, and was reminded of my ponderings when I got a sad face for going at 32 on saturday when I didn't event think I was tonking along that fast.

Do you guys find you get a bit obsessed with times though? I'd be concerned i'd turn into a muppet just to improve my average speed.

Not so much time, but my general "flat" speed.

I get a bit obsessive about maintaining the speed I like to travel at, or I feel like I'm not really trying.

However, some of my best (most enjoyable) rides have been times when I didn't have the computer attached and just rolled along enjoying the view.

I wonder which is right?

GrasB

Veteran
Cubist;956355][quote name= said:
the rim/pad combination sorted[/s] some disc brakes[/b'] & you'll be surprised how effective the brakes can be. Then it's just learning how to use that power to stop effectively.

Fixed it for you[/QUOTE]
No the original was correct too, however I got about 6-9 months worth of rim ware & killed off 2 sets of pads (one unused) & in 4 days. But yeah, you are right discs are definitely the way to go.

Cubist

Still wavin'
arallsopp said:
Downhill on the Furai, I top out at 47.8mph. That's my 'grab the brake' point.

The SMGTe builds speed a little slower, but goes a fair whack faster. Its heavier, so gives a more confident ride. The cycle computer aboard says "E" which I'm guessing is reasonably quick.
Didn't realise they made computers in Yorkshire....... The London ones say "Fack":biggrin:

Mr Farley

BentMikey said:
LOL! I'm more believing of those on recumbents, you have to see the downhill speed differential to believe it.

Oh, and your gearing calc perhaps makes some assumptions on rpm that it shouldn't - speak to people who ride fixed. I've done 38mph down Leaves Green Hill @ 185rpm. That's 48x19, btw. 185rpm isn't particularly impressive either, serious on-road fixed wheel riders will have done over 200rpm.

Interesting.....more training then methinks ;).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Cubist said:
Didn't realise they made computers in Yorkshire....... The London ones say "Fack":biggrin:

Not true. The one on the Furai is a london model, but I think produced in the US. It says "Cowor Blighermey Mayery Pawpeens!"

Top Bottom