Top Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As my commutes have gone on, my computer has had to constantly recalculate my average speed...and its dropping all the time!!

That, or I'm actually getting slower. I started at 19mph :biggrin: and it now tells me 16mph ;) (over a 40 mile return trip….I hasten to add)

Either way, I was talking to a friend on Sunday who had to commute to Westerham from Biggin Hill in Kent (Mikey will know that route well). Its all down hill……almost vertical…… for miles.

He recorded 48.9mph on his run. I was astounded that a push bike can go that fast, on a commute! (with luggage, phones, keys, packed lunch, the lot)

Inspired, I scrolled through my computer and saw a highest recorded speed (since starting to commute) of 39mph…I have no idea where I did this, I only have two fast sections,(one is a short blast, with speed humps) and the other is a main road where I cover the brakes all the time so rarely get to 35mph.

Just interested to see what top, top speeds have been recorded whilst in "work mode"

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
45mph down Leaves Green hill once, though I normally do 41-42 on most days.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I run out of legs and gears at those speeds on my hybrid. My fastest being 33.6 down Dartmouth Park Hill.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Fastest part of my commute is a hill in Bromley where I can hit 40mph, but usually average 36-37mph, dependent on traffic, weather etc.

I think that the computer on my fixie recorded over 60 once, but then it was a cheap wireless one and prone to interferance from outside sources.

I have taken it off the bike now as I am not interested in my performance while commuting. While they can provide useful information to talk about at a cake stop, I was finding I was just not looking at it.

thomas

the tank engine
At the old office I used to be able to hit about 45mph both ways...but it also meant two massive long slogs at the start of the ride. That route was pretty hilly.

New office isn't hilly at all...at most will get 30-35. I could go a different route which would allow me to do 40mph. It is slightly longer, but it is also further and I don't think as interesting so I've only done it once or twice.

Back at UNI now though.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
39 Down a steep hill towards the end of my commute. Makes me smile at the end of the day. Never gone down all the way flat out though. Always start to brake half way down as i loose my nerve.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
54mph - Tailgating someone down the hill into work. One day I WILL trigger the speed camera ;)

It's a bugger on the way home mind.

J4CKO

37.4, only a short hill, need a long straight one and I reckon 45 is on the cards but to be honest 37.4 was bordering on terrifying, its a 30 and a car HAD to overtake 2 foot to my right.

iendicott

40mph going down hill, but as alot of people have mentioned, I ran out of gears on my hybrid and these bikes are not known for their areodynamic properties either ;)

colinr

33ish, but I commute on my fixed (only bike) and anything above 30 gets uncomfortable quickly. This is why I need another bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
most days is around 26mph. i don't have many parts where i am away from traffic, so keeping up any sort of speed is hard, a few days a week i will hit near 30ish over vauxhill bridge, and will sometimes gun it on this short straight near my house to get over 30.

my fastest was 35mph down park lane, not sure i will be even trying that again.

Top Bottom