Top Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
slowmotion said:
This is all too depressing.

What would you say a good top speed would be on the flat, with no wind, and great tarmac? Dawes Disco 501 hybrid.

(be merciful)

You can breathe a sigh of relief. Everyone with the big numbers here is talking about downhill speed, and those on upright bikes in excess of 40mph will be using very big downhills to get to that speed.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
slowmotion said:
This is all too depressing.

What would you say a good top speed would be on the flat, with no wind, and great tarmac? Dawes Disco 501 hybrid.

(be merciful)

The fastest I have managed on the flat is 32mph, on a hybrid with a pannier...

but I had a wee bit of a tail wind :blush:

Top speed down hill carrying a pannier, 47mph, no tail wind!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I shall cycle off very slowly to Switzerland, and check into that cosy Dignitas flat. My God, I do feel old enough and useless, and I would not wish to be a further burden on the community...

You will all be to blame...quiet sobbing..

al78

Guru
jonny jeez said:
As my commutes have gone on, my computer has had to constantly recalculate my average speed...and its dropping all the time!!

That, or I'm actually getting slower. I started at 19mph :laugh: and it now tells me 16mph :blush: (over a 40 mile return trip….I hasten to add)

Either way, I was talking to a friend on Sunday who had to commute to Westerham from Biggin Hill in Kent (Mikey will know that route well). Its all down hill……almost vertical…… for miles.

He recorded 48.9mph on his run. I was astounded that a push bike can go that fast, on a commute! (with luggage, phones, keys, packed lunch, the lot)

Inspired, I scrolled through my computer and saw a highest recorded speed (since starting to commute) of 39mph…I have no idea where I did this, I only have two fast sections,(one is a short blast, with speed humps) and the other is a main road where I cover the brakes all the time so rarely get to 35mph.

Just interested to see what top, top speeds have been recorded whilst in "work mode"

Officially 37 mph, down Rowhook in W Sussex, on a folding bike.

Nowadays I am more cautious on descents since I came off earlier this summer and needed 12 stitches in my arm.

oxford_guy

Über Member
According to my wireless cycle computer I've done over 80mph on occasion, which is of course nonsense and I imagine down to interference (one of the reasons why I'm considering a digital wireless computer), but I think the fastest "real" speed I've done is 39mph down a steep hill on the Isle of Arran, with a full camping load, LOL! :laugh:

adds21

Rider of bikes
My GPS says 43.9, but I don't think that's right.

I do however get up to 33.something most mornings on my commute. That's on a flat bar hybrid, and (obviously) down a hill.

I've once done 38.6 down a hill, and that was pretty terrifying (which is why I don't believe the 43.9 figure... I'd remember... unless I've blocked it out?!).

A.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
slowmotion said:
I shall cycle off very slowly to Switzerland, and check into that cosy Dignitas flat. My God, I do feel old enough and useless, and I would not wish to be a further burden on the community...

I wouldn't worry, I'm convinced many of these people have confused mph with kph ;)

I average about 17mph over my commute but there are no hills big enough to go more than 30mph absolute maximum. And the the 17mph took me a year and a half to work up to!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yet my average on my commute is 15.5mph

Wheeledweenie said:
I average about 17mph over my commute

BigSteev

48.56mph (definitely not km!) but was a bit gutted as would like to have got 50+. Would probably have been possible but I didn't know the road so was being a bit cautious.

Did 43.5mph on a FNRttC down Reigate Hill but that sort of speed appears to be frowned upon on that ride.

Am thinking about putting together a gravity bike for next year's Eastbourne event in which case I'd be aiming for 65+.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
BigSteev said:
48.56mph (definitely not km!) but was a bit gutted as would like to have got 50+. Would probably have been possible but I didn't know the road so was being a bit cautious.

Did 43.5mph on a FNRttC down Reigate Hill but that sort of speed appears to be frowned upon on that ride.

I thought that on the FNRttC Brighton so carefully braked when I hit 30mph down one of the larger hills only to see one of the regulars whizz past! ;)

I get frightened above 35mph so always brake (very carefully) anyway though.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
slowmotion said:

Would that flat have a spare room I could rent (I may want to join you )

In answer to your earlier post, I would reckon 19-25 would be a respectable speed for a good flat level road with no bumpy bits. I average 16mph across my route, but try to maintain 22 on the flat bits (whizzing up into the 30's for the down hill sections….normally with both feet in the air screaming WHEEEEEEEEEE!).

PS, just texted my speedy Pal who has just completed his very first commute into Londinium!!!! Hurrah!!!

He is also looking to crack 50mph on the westerham hill some time soon (apparently, he wasnt trying hard enough last time:ohmy:...but then he does run about 5 bleedin marathons a year!!)

Top Bottom