Top Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsie

Blimey! My ambition is to get the 30 mph warning sign halfway down Longwater Lane (in the Norwich suburb where Nicholas Parsons was born) to flash.

Then I'll know I've reached 25 mph!

Lizban

43 on my tri cross going down Greenwich Park Hill

Came in the side gate and was going about 20 at the start of the hill and then went for it. Slowed about 30 yrds from the end as I hate the speed cushion coverd in cobbles at the bottom it.

Looking at my cycle computer today my max speed was 34.3mph. I did that going through the Clyde Tunnel. Due to the restricted space I wouldn't want to be going any faster than that!

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Looking at my cycle computer today my max speed was 34.3mph. I did that going through the Clyde Tunnel. Due to the restricted space I wouldn't want to be going any faster than that!

You misread: 3.43mph - slowpoke.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
Church Road from the High St down to Shortlands.

Whoa!! 37 down that hill, it's really twisty!!!

You're a braver rider than me.

The long main hill that I mentioned is the Bromley Hill, but the A21 section (I think that's what it's called) the hill from The Bromley court Hotel to Bellingham. I am to concerned about people pulling out of the shell garage and the odd turning to really "let myself go" so have no clue where I knocked up my top speed from.

I did used to grab a "little air" (one of the benefits of commuting on an old MTB) coming over the speed humps in Drakefell road/Gellatly road, so perhaps my front wheel span quicker whilst unfettered?

PS, too cold and slippy for that nowadays!;)

Origamist said:
You misread: 3.43mph - slowpoke.

;)

Aye that video was from a good while back. I'll need to post a more recent video of me going through the tunnel. The biggest difference in speed is going uphill. I tend to honk it all the way up now. Good hill training!:wacko:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
magnatom said:

Heh love the little chuckle you had at the plonker at the end of the video. ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep that's the one, only 2 turns and as long as there are no cars in front you can really let fly...

re A21 I also do that occasionally can get some great speed going down there.. especially very early mornings with not much traffic...

jonny jeez said:
Whoa!! 37 down that hill, it's really twisty!!!

You're a braver rider than me.

The long main hill that I mentioned is the Bromley Hill, but the A21 section (I think that's what it's called) the hill from The Bromley court Hotel to Bellingham. I am to concerned about people pulling out of the shell garage and the odd turning to really "let myself go" so have no clue where I knocked up my top speed from.

I did used to grab a "little air" (one of the benefits of commuting on an old MTB) coming over the speed humps in Drakefell road/Gellatly road, so perhaps my front wheel span quicker whilst unfettered?

PS, too cold and slippy for that nowadays!;)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Touche said:
I have taken it off the bike now as I am not interested in my performance while commuting. While they can provide useful information to talk about at a cake stop, I was finding I was just not looking at it.

I was tempted to do the same about a month ago as I felt like a "slave to the machine" and quite enjoy riding without knowing how fast I'm going, so long as it feels right.

But, it is one way of motivating me to put in a little extra effort, so I only ever pay attention to the MPH myself. (I will admit that I didnt even know about the highest speed function until Sunday, when I got back from the Pub and had a little fiddle!)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
talking about bromley, i've hit 37mph on kentish way.. i was trying to set the speed camera off, but didn't have the balls to turn around and check at that speed ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once again, a great bit of road.. but motons seem to use it as a race track..

gaz said:
talking about bromley, i've hit 37mph on kentish way.. i was trying to set the speed camera off, but didn't have the balls to turn around and check at that speed ;)

mark i

Commuting bike around 33mph between Coventry and Solihull just after Cornets end. Fastest recently was into Pembroke doing 45mph on the road bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This is all too depressing.

What would you say a good top speed would be on the flat, with no wind, and great tarmac? Dawes Disco 501 hybrid.

(be merciful)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My only bike is my racked 26 " wheeled hybrid with city jet+ on so .....

Top speed
Down hill in to my village i have hit 42mph and regularly do 35 mph, note i climb up the bastich every day.

Average speed.
around 16.8 mph .It has dropped a bit lately as i take im maybe 6 mile of unlit roads and i have slackened off a bit .

max average speed was 17.2 mph

Lowest speed.
8.5 mph up the real hills

Average flat speed.
Around 20-21 mph.

Round trip
21 mile round trip commute taking 1 hour 13 mins last time i checked .

Top Bottom