Top Ten Folders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Rixen and Kaul Klikfix system works independently of the Brompton bag frame so you have the option of removing the bag and leaving the frame attached if you so wish.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not only looking at Bromptons, but they do seem to be the best for folding, which is an issue on a bus and the most durable long term.
I get the impression most people seem to use the Brompton front rack, not the rear. Is this because the front is more flexible for aftermarket bags / weight?

icowden

Veteran
Having reached the grand age of 70 I'm no longer as strong or as agile as I once was. It usually takes me between 15 to 20 seconds to fold / unfold my Brompton.

Not as fast as this guy, but 5.19 seconds is the world record...

View: https://youtu.be/27F9WVj6lU4

Which isn't bad but... I can fold the Tern in less than 5 seconds. It's literally - open quick-release for the saddle & drop. Undo clip. Fold. :becool:

The Brompton is the best for *small* folding. You won't find a bike that can fold up smaller. And they are definitely more durable than a Tern or Dahon which tend to need hinge repair every few years in my experience.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've been commuting for four years now with my Tern and it's stood up really well to all the abuse with hardly any complaint. However, I only take it on the train, which is one of the double decker ones, with the entire lower deck of one carriage given over to bikes, so the size of the fold is not an issue.

I have on occasion used the trams here and it is fine for that, however, the smaller size of a Brompton would be more suitable.

With regard to the hinge joint, I've had no problems with my hinges in all this time, however, I am quite light even in full winter clothing and work bag. I have a colleague who is really tall and stocky and with a pannier and clothing comes close to the weight limit of these bikes (100kg if memory serves?). He has gone through two hinges on two different Terns, so I would also caution against a Tern or Dahon if your combined weight is getting close to the limit of these frames.

I also use an Ortlieb messenger bag rather than a pannier bag and rack. It will comfortably take a small laptop and all my other work stuff. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I personally prefer it.

Kell

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not only looking at Bromptons, but they do seem to be the best for folding, which is an issue on a bus and the most durable long term.
I get the impression most people seem to use the Brompton front rack, not the rear. Is this because the front is more flexible for aftermarket bags / weight?

The front is more practical when commuting as the release mechanism is quicker and easier. It’s a similar release switch to the one for the rear triangle. In some cases, you can fold the bike up with the bag still attached. I have done this, but found it awkward in practice

The rear rack is good but any bag attaching to it needs a lot more faffing about with to remove. I’ve seen people doing it on my train before.

I’d imagine that you can carry much heavier loads on the rear rack, but I don’t know that for certain.

12boy

Guru
There are some advantages to the weight in front:
It improves the ride, making it less twitchy and possibly increasing front wheel traction.
With many you can access the bike without getting off.
There are obviously many, many bag setups possible, especially if you have the click on frame.
The center of gravity is very low.
Unless you hang a rear bag off the saddle/seat post rear bags can have heel strike. Having a heavy bag off the saddle can affect the handling, especially since these bikes put most of the rider's weight on the rear wheel.
A lot of front bags have pockets just right for water bottles and phones with ready access.
However the front bag, if large, can increase wind drag a lot. The shopper bag and a headwind can be interesting. I use a front bag for large or heavier loads and a small lightweight saddle bag for lightweight items like a tool roll, sweater or jacket, gloves etc. On the site "the path less pedaled" the authors attach a backpack to the saddle and a rack over the rear wheel. That, plus a large front bag,k gives for a huge amount of storage capacity.

Top Bottom