Topeak BarXtender

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Pete, 17 Jul 2007.

1. Pete

Pete Guest

Anyone tried out one of these? For those not familiar, it's a T-shaped thing that can be fixed onto your stem or steerer, there's a long flexible strap that wraps around, and provides you with a place for those extra lamps, computers, etc. that won't go on the handlebar. Useful thing if you have an oval-cross-section handlebar (as my son's bike has) on which many accessories won't fit directly.

But: bought one the other day, put it on my son's bike, and on its first outing the screws worked loose and the thing fell off. I was sure I'd tightened them up properly. My son recovered the missing bit but lost the bolt and nut. So now I've tried to re-attach the thing with a standard M5 screw in place of the original allen key bolt.

If these things are liable to shake loose on the road, despite normal tightening, this is a design defect, seems to me. I may try threadlock or something. Haven't got back on to the shop yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice