Topeak MTX rack/road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Years ago I bought an MTX rack for my MTB. Foolishly I just bought an RX rack for my road bike, assuming the bags were cross compatible. Alas they aren't.

Does anyone know of a way to get the MTX rack to clamp my road seatpost securely? Thinking something like a plastic/rubber piecing? My frame is carbon, think the seatpost is metal.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you "just bought..." it. I would send it back for a refund and buy the correct bag.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
If you "just bought..." it. I would send it back for a refund and buy the correct bag.
The priblem is I have a matching pair of bag and rack, but the rack I have is designed to clamp to a wider MTB seatpost.

I thought the bags were cross compatible across the Topeak range but for whatever reason they aren't, so I can either keep the rack and buy another bag and be out about £85. Or I can return the new rack and try and find a way to get tbe MTB rack to clamp my road seatpost securely (it doesn't use seatstay bolt holes, this range use a QR or 5mm bolt system to clamp the seatpost.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im guessing its the beamrack youre on about? Have you tried winding down the little handle before slotting it in position and folding it over like a quick release?

Because i have a MTX BeamRack and thats exactly what i did to get the fit snug along with the rubber patches to stop it swinging around. If you've already tried this and its not secure then wrap a small peice of innertube around your seatpost a few times before attaching it.

I have the beam rack and Super Tourist DX which supports the MTX rack bag and everything works so im getting super confused. Either youre not securing it properly or you havent used the correct rubber patches that came with the rack to hold it in place when its attached to your seatpost.

Heres a video incase youre not attaching it properly -- also to give you some idea when i say 'winding it down'

Last edited:
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Im guessing its the beamrack youre on about? Have you tried winding down the little handle before slotting it in position and folding it over like a quick release?

Because i have a MTX BeamRack and thats exactly what i did to get the fit snug along with the rubber patches to stop it swinging around. If you've already tried this and its not secure then wrap a small peice of innertube around your seatpost a few times before attaching it.

I have the beam rack and Super Tourist DX which supports the MTX rack bag and everything works so im getting super confused. Either youre not securing it properly or you havent used the correct rubber patches that came with the rack to hold it in place when its attached to your seatpost.

Heres a video incase youre not attaching it properly -- also to give you some idea when i say 'winding it down'

That's the one. The issue is the clamps won't fit snug on a road seat post and I've had it so long I can't find the accessories that came with it. Will give the old tubes trick a try.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It might not have the correct thickness then.

Google 'Topeak MTX RUBBER SHIM' and hit the 'shopping tab' there are quite a few shops that sell them for a few quid.

There are two different kits. TRK-R003 and TRK-R004

Buy both and return the one that doesnt hold the rack on securely or buy the TRK-R003 and use some innertube to add some thickness

Top Bottom