Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Does anyone have a Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP?
If so, are they good?

I like the trunk bit, but have concerns over the fold down panniers.

Yes I had one of those and the matching rack untill a few weeks ago, sold them on this forum. The bag is excellent and the fold down panniers can be very handy, I had mine on my mountain bike before I got a road bike.

Norm

I do and I love it. What are the concerns about the panniers? I've had them stuffed with shopping and not had any problems.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I do and I love it. What are the concerns about the panniers? I've had them stuffed with shopping and not had any problems.

The fact that the side nearest the wheel isn't stiff. My existing panniers have a stiff piece on that side, and it keeps everything from flapping around.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a set, and been using them for the last year. The non-stiff panniers aren't a problem - the fold down section is quite solid.

I've had mine stuffed to the brim a number of times, and full of heavy locks. They aren't waterproof, and another £12 gets you the waterproof cover.

I bought the TrunkBag that Phil mentioned selling on these forums above. I have fitted the bag to the rack I bought with it (a Super Tourist DX w/spring) and have had no bother at all so far. I have stuffed the bag with kit for work and it has performed very well and the QuickTrack attachment device is very easy and convenient. Phil had this bag for a year or more but it looked 'as new' when I received it. I got it at a decent price but would (having used it) have had no problems paying full price for brand new. I can recommend its use on a road bike.

Bill

Norm

The fact that the side nearest the wheel isn't stiff. My existing panniers have a stiff piece on that side, and it keeps everything from flapping around.

the fold down section is quite solid.
As fossy says, the bit which is the outer cover of the stored pannier is fairly stiff so, when that's unzipped, it sits between the flexible material and the pannier guards.

Which reminds me - do get the pannier guards if you are going to use the panniers. They fit fairly quickly and easily but I would never even consider riding without them. Aside from any issues with the panniers hitting the wheels, the panniers also have a small loop of elastic which goes over the bottom of the side-pieces and holds them in place fairly solidly.

The thing is cavernous if you unzip everything. I can easily get the day's work stuff in the top section, including spare shirt and trousers, deodorant, camera and all my cycling spares. I only use the panniers if I'm carrying shoes, a laptop or the weekly shopping.

Top Bottom