Torn Meniscus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I simply don't have enough bend/flexibility in my left knee to turn the pedal without severe pain when clipped in with the cleat in the correct position. I have about 100 deg, 90 or so is a minimum to turn a pedal at all. If my foot is further back I can manage, but can't clip in at that position. It might be a muscular issue or it may be to do with the bony changes due to the arthritis - I'll know on Monday after the surgeon has tried to manipulate under anaesthetic. I think probably a mix of the two but bending beyond a certain point hurts like hell

That makes sense. Hope you can overcome it💪

vickster

Legendary Member
That makes sense. Hope you can overcome it💪

Maybe with a knee replacement although I don’t have enough flexion for one to have a predictable positive outcome!

yes. schedule orthoscopic surgery. everyone's knee is different. my surgery took only 17 minutes. in & out same day. if you have a choice of anesthesia, you don't want to be awake. I was standing on it later that day, even tho it was all wrapped up. I don't remember the recovery but it was much better than living w/ the injury. which the surgeon said was from "a lifetime of activity"

the surgeon also told me a cpl things
the worst thing for a knee is a deep knee bend with a twist
when using crutches, use 2. don't discard the crutches unless you can walk w/o a limp. aka, if you're limping, you need to use 2 crutches

if you have any choice of surgeons, get one that operates on athletes

vickster

Legendary Member
yes. schedule orthoscopic surgery. everyone's knee is different. my surgery took only 17 minutes. in & out same day. if you have a choice of anesthesia, you don't want to be awake. I was standing on it later that day, even tho it was all wrapped up. I don't remember the recovery but it was much better than living w/ the injury. which the surgeon said was from "a lifetime of activity"

the surgeon also told me a cpl things
the worst thing for a knee is a deep knee bend with a twist
when using crutches, use 2. don't discard the crutches unless you can walk w/o a limp. aka, if you're limping, you need to use 2 crutches

if you have any choice of surgeons, get one that operates on athletes

It doesn’t work like that in the UK for elective non emergency surgery on the NHS, you might get referred to a surgeon who decides if surgery is indicated (not all meniscal tears qualify for surgery on NHS), then you are placed on a waiting list and receive a surgery date when one becomes available (could be months). You can expedite the process by going private (probably about 4-5k for the surgeon appointments, Surgery, physio, and choose your surgeon).

You won’t normally get to choose a surgeon for something straightforward, possibly the hospital. Most knee surgeons will operate on younger active people too.

It’s called arthroscopic surgery (aka keyhole)

Last edited:
Yep twist and bend is really bad and you become expert at avoiding it in the future especially after the op and after physio.

Yes also used a surgeon that was experienced in ski injuries, seemed very run of the mill for him. Here they offered the op the same week but had to wait until i get get some days off work, the benefits of health insurance 👍🏻

Yep twist and bend is really bad and you become expert at avoiding it in the future especially after the op and after physio.
yep. approx. 27 yrs later ... every morning, I do a deep knee bend squat, to feed the cat. straight down & straight back up

my meniscus tear was a simple torn flap that kept getting in the way during certain movements. the surgeon only had to go in & cut it & scrap it away & vacuumed the loose bits out. knee surgery is bloodless

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Torn meniscus for me back in 2004 I think ?! Operated on within a week back then. Could not walk/put weight on my leg and it would not straighten so straight to operation . Was back playing football with in 6 months .

Cycling was my recovery process, I think it helped hugely as well as some light leg presses in the gym . I will admit it’s never been 100% since but I was able to do everything I did before but with mild discomfort time to time.

Fast forward to now and it’s not so good, I have arthritis in the knee , good days and bad . Cycling was ok but increasingly finding things painful . Doctor said no running neither , so I manage dog walks ok but my knee does flare up . I reckon I’ll need a new knee at some point , just hoping to put that off for a while yet .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How do people with dodgy knees feel about clipless pedals. The twist to release action is the thing I like to avoid, esp under stress and adrenaline.

I use and like them. The twisting action is second nature so my foot-brain takes care of it, not my conscious brain.

My knees aren't that dodgy. I had a major op (not meniscus) in about 2006, but mostly they are just cranky old man knees.

To the OP: Be patient, be careful but be positive. Listen to your physio and do your exercises, no matter how silly they seem. Good luck.

Top Bottom