Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I've recently puchased a Torque Wrench (its called a Giant Shed Torque Wrench!). Anyway, on the instructions it says "remember to adjust the torque setting to the lowest value before storing in the case"

Does this mean put it back to zero because when you turn the dial it goes past zero and stops at between 0.1 and 0.2 (its almost like zero is zero but the between point of 0.1 and 0.2 is minus 0.1 and 0.2 as it is past the zero point - if that makes sense!)

I want to store the wrench properly

Gunk

Guru
They just mean to wind it out and release the tension in the spring when storing it

Cerdic

Just wind it back to zero. Some reckon you shouldn’t go ‘lower’ than zero but I don’t know if it makes any difference…

Reactions: C R

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Some reckon you shouldn’t go ‘lower’ than zero but I don’t know if it makes any difference…
It's best not to go past the bottom of the scale. Sometimes winding out past zero can result in a screw unscrewing off its thread, and being very difficult to get back on against the pressure of a spring (SPD pedal tension adjustment comes to mind)

Top Bottom