TorTec Ultralite Rack. TOO BIG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I just go this rack for my winter road bike http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/TorTec_Ultralite_Rear_Rack/5360018945/ in black (not from there, as out of stock)

Now it has arrived I have fitted it and it is massively tall. The bike is a cheap Trek 1.2, 700c with 56cm frame. The rack clears the top of the mudguard by about 12cm.

Any ideas why, or is this usual? I have an urban MTB with rack, and although adjustable in height, it is nice and low over the wheel. My touring bike rack is also low down

I was imaging this nice sleek stealth rack, now it dominates the bike

will post a pic if I can work out how

Jay

just jim

That seems a good bit taller than the blackburns I have. racks are pretty utilitarian and not about looks imo. As long as it does the job.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its not necessarily all to blame on the rack - I have two identical racks fitted on my bikes - on one it clears the wheel by alot more than the other. So I assume its to do with the frame geometry as well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Could the huge clearance be to do with the mounting points being half way up the chain stays rather than being near to the drop outs?

Try the rack for size on the other bike to see what the clearance is like.

I was about to post a helpfull comment until I noticed that you described my TREK 1.2 as cheap !!!

However, never one to hold a grudge - I have the tour rack on my 56cm 1.2. I've just measured the clearance between bottom of the plate and top of 25mm tyre at 35mm. I've not tried fitting guards with the rack.

The middle leg of the rack - the one that attaches to the dropout - is 36cm.

The rack is 99.99% horizontal on my 1.2

tortec-tour-rack.jpg

Maybe you could recheck your rack fitting as I was about to order the same rack for my Trek? Could you measure the rack leg from top to bolt hole ?

vernon said:
Could the huge clearance be to do with the mounting points being half way up the chain stays rather than being near to the drop outs?

Try the rack for size on the other bike to see what the clearance is like.

mounting point is on the rear dropout, shared with guards, but the top mount is very close to the top of the seat stays.

The Tour rack uses flat strip brackets while the lighter rack uses bent rod type. Maybe they need turning up 'tuther way to meet the higher mount point ?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Sorry about calling it cheap!! I mean I got a bargain! I paid 400 plus 25 for the guards and am really pleased with it.

I think I made is 41cm from the mounting hole to the top of the rack. My other mtb type bike's rack is 36cm.

It is on nice and level and works fine, just I like it to look sleeker! Will stick with it as it is

My rack is not the Tour model that John put up, but the Tour Ultralite.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've got one of those - got it at a Cycle Promotions sale. Yes, it does sit up very high, doesn't it? It's functional, but far from attractive or unobtrusive.

maurice

Can't think it would do a lot of good to the handling, having the load higher up than normal. Sort of defeats the point of having an ultra light rack

Top Bottom