Total elevation recordings on a TdF stage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is something that we often discuss - how bad, or good, GPS units are at telling us the total elevation gain for a ride. GPS is optimised to give a location on the earth's surface, and not so good at measuring elevation. So we often get people complaining about inconsistent "total ascent" values from GPS units.

So I took 83 Strava uploads for stage 4 of this year's Tour. The first problem was that they were all different lengths, as some started recording in the neutral zone, some before, and some at the real depart. So I picked a 2 km interval 177-179 km and got 67 rides. They were mostly clustered around 178km. Given that the nominal distance for the stage was 171.5km I guess this is the départ fictif to the finish.

This was the same ride, at broadly the same time, and all riders will be using top of the range GPS units.

Then I looked at the distribution of the total elevation values.
1657523594470.png

Each bar shows the number of rides that recorded a value between the number shown at the bottom and the start value of the next bar.

The bottom line is that 94% of the rides are within plus or minus 104m of 1852m. Thats plus or minus about 6%. It's a skewed distribution which makes interpretation tricky for someone who last studied statistics 40 years ago.

This doesn't address a whole load of questions, such as:

Would I get the same variance if I did the same ride repeatedly (under the same meteorological conditions) with the same GPS unit, ie does it result from a variance between units or is it intrinsic imprecision of the GPS technology? (I suspect mainly the latter)
Is it better or worse to rely on "contour counting"? Either with pencil and paper or letting a system like Strava or RWGPS rely on its map database to do this for you. (I suspect that the question is meaningless)

But if you and your riding partner go for the same ride and your GPS units give different total ascent values with a difference of less than +/- 12% don't be very surprised. If the difference is less than +/- 6% don't be surprised at all.

Edit: In case anyone's interested, the three outliers to the left are: Jan Tratnik, Garmin Edge 830 (178.1km, 1332m); Krists Nielands, Hammerhead Karoo 2 (178km, 1649m); Franck Bonnamour, Garmin Edge 830 (177.7km, 1454m). The highest value was Aleksandr Riabushenko, Garmin Edge 530 (177.7km, 1956m)

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Contour counting will never work if in the hills, on the flat lands with gradual grades perhaps. No road has a perfectly uniform grade (Ups and downs) , might have if you try to cycle😅 on the new motorways in Spain but for normal roads no. How accurate are the contour lines in the countryside? Cities and towns are more accurate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Contour counting will never work if in the hills, on the flat lands with gradual grades perhaps. No road has a perfectly uniform grade (Ups and downs) , might have if you try to cycle😅 on the new motorways in Spain but for normal roads no. How accurate are the contour lines in the countryside? Cities and towns are more accurate.
Considering only the UK, I'd be extremely surprised if there was any difference in precision of Ordnance Survey contour lines between urban and non-urban areas.

I use the term "contour counting" to apply not only to pencil and paper checking but also to the way in which tools like Strava and RWGPS work out total elevation for planned routes using a terrain database. It's the same principle.

I don't agree that it will "never work". It works, and it gives an answer, and that answer is consistent. But it will probably under-estimate because the contour lines, or terrain elevation database, have a fixed resolution so dips and lumps smaller than that resolution will not be counted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom