Total noob here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Totally new to the world of cycling. Getting a specialized allez through the cycle to work scheme this coming week. I'm just wondering what all I need to get me going. Any bits of clothing etc a must? Had been looking at the clipless shoes/pedals on wiggle. Would buying pedals and shoes right from the start be a good idea? Any info on anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:welcome: to cc JB :thumbsup:

Padded shorts/bibs/tights are essential if you plan to start doing longer rides.

Gloves and glasses are also essential IMO - regardless of weather.

Helmets are a personal thing. I wear one, some don't. If you do get one make sure you get one that fits and conforms to a standard.

If your not used to road bike geometry and riding in general I'd stick to the flat pedals until your confidence increases, after that if you want to go clipless then the world's your oyster. In the meantime THIS thread will answer all your clipless questions for you.

Don't forget as well you need to be self sufficient in terms of repairs when you're out, and therefore you'll need things like spare tubes, pump, tyre levers, patches, chain splitter, spare missing link for chain, multi tool etc. I also carry an old rag, (with my multi tool in it, and some nitrile gloves to keep things clean), oh and some loose change as well, just on case. FWIW I also wear dog tags on the bike with emergency information on them, or you can always program an I.C.E. number into your phone.

Get a track pump as well for at home use. Correctly inflated tyres are one of the best puncture avoidance methods you can use, and 'normal' pumps just don't cut the mustard.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Don't try to ride too far to start with, first ride I would suggest of only about 5-10 miles to check everything feels OK, once you've done that increase it at your leisure.
Don't ride in too big a gear, you should have to put a little bit of pressure into the pedals but you shouldn't have to heave on the bike. Enjoy.

wisdom

Guru
Smokeysmoo's advice is bang on the mark.
Enjoy your riding and dont be afraid to ask any questions on here. I'm sure an answer will be forthcoming. Good luck

The Mighty Boosh

Please make sure that you are set up for the bike correctly before you go on any ride, that is if you sit on the saddle with your feet on the pedals, when your foot is at the lowest point your leg should be all most straight, if you don't do this you will suffer knee pain on long rides, I know this from experience and my knee hurt like hell for ages.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The starting point for saddle height should be that if you put your heel on the pedal, there should still be a slight bend in it. You might not be able to touch the ground in this position without leaning the bike. Don't have your saddle too high or you will rock your hips from side to side as you cycle. That might not be the perfect position but it is a starting point and then make small mm adjustments.

BeccaGeddes

I'm just starting up too and found Sports Direct to be pretty good for padded shorts/tights and gloves. I know it's not the best quality but it's good to get you started up. Shorts/tights for about £8-10 and bibs for about £20.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Sports direct padded shorts are not that good . Ok for 1m under normal clothes but if you want to ride any distance I would invest in a good pair . You WILL find out why .

If you are just starting out also expect to have some soreness. If you are not used to a bike saddle then you will be a bit uncomfortable but it will go away as you ride more. On that note make sure you are not crushing anything it should only be sore not sharp pain or a rubbing pain. Make sure you get some gloves that fit you correctly it will cut down on hand pain and protect you in the event you take a spill.

The most important thing for me so far is keeping my motivation up, you will have days you do not feel like riding but you need to find something to get you going (anything really its what works for you). Find some local friends that are also starting out or a more experienced mentor that you can ride with (it is always easier when working with someone else).

Oh and enjoy yourself, you will not stick with it if you do not enjoy it in the end.

Ootini

Sports direct padded shorts are not that good . Ok for 1m under normal clothes but if you want to ride any distance I would invest in a good pair . You WILL find out why .

This is true. I bought a pair of Endura shorts for about £25 for my LBS and also grabbed some from Sports Direct for about £5. There's a huge difference in comfort!