Total noob here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Pick a circular route around home for the first few weeks. That way you can bail out at any point and return home quickly. It also gives you a set distance you can measure your progress on.
Find a quiet carpark and learn to ride slowly, without putting your foot down. Excellent for developing bike control as you start to fly :-)

Boon 51

Veteran
A good saddle set at the right height, padded shorts, and if its a road bike you might need to get a 32 rear cassette if your doing some hill riding.
Dont forget your mobil phone and always keep a tenner somewhere as you never know?

Sports Direct isn't bad for their jerseys and things, I'm a large fella and they suit me fine, however I agree with those above about padded stuffs, spend the money where you can afford it. Cheap is not always best, especially when doing distances.

I second the "enjoy your ride" comments, don't hoof it if you don't have to, just pace yourself and enjoy the ride.

Additionally, don't overspend on your budget, and don't panic if you can't buy something immediately, there are always alternatives. I ride in cheap joggers and a t-shirt, and during winter I use a Sports Direct "Karrimore" running top for warmth, perfect for my usage, and keeps me arm with a little ventilation too.
After nearly 2 years of riding, I've only just changed to SPD pedals, and as I'm able to buy smaller clothes (and doing events), I'm buying padded bits to ensure my comfort for the distances.

Mykchamp

Really useful thread this. I haven't ridden for a good 10 years since my teens and chose to get a bike through cycle to work and hand my car in. Can't wait for my certificate to come through so I can get my new pride and joy! Does anyone cycle to work? What advice have you got in terms of ensuring you look smart when you arrive at work and aren't a sweaty creased smelly mess?!

Really useful thread this. I haven't ridden for a good 10 years since my teens and chose to get a bike through cycle to work and hand my car in. Can't wait for my certificate to come through so I can get my new pride and joy! Does anyone cycle to work? What advice have you got in terms of ensuring you look smart when you arrive at work and aren't a sweaty creased smelly mess?!
Loads on here does @Supersuperleeds is probably the king of it, 30-40 miles every morning (well most), upto that coming home.
Shorts need the money, the rest cheaper alternatives are fine, saddle sit on it with your sit bones dont perch, if you are constantly moving to get comfortable your saddle is in the wrong place.

I have been cycling to work for about a month and have learned of a few tricks to not disgust your fellow employees.

1. Keep or bring a change of office clothes (a seat post rack makes this easier keeping then in a bag)

2. Keep some baby wipes at work to freshin up when you get there.

3. Leave early so you can cool down and change before work starts.

Secondary to @damiengreathouse, I have a washbag in work (no showers) and have a wipe down with a flannel, slap on some deodorant and aftershave and I'm fine. Never had a complaint yet.
Washbag has soap, deodorant, comb and aftershave. Just carry in a fresh towel and flannel on a Friday and I'm good.

I spend about 5 minutes outside with the bike to cool down, and that helps too.

As for creased, I don't cycle in my work clothes, I see some who do, but I'd rather feel comfy. So I wear joggers, a thin top with a warm running jersey from Sports Direct (currently), then as the weather picks up, I'll wear a cycling jersey.

Good luck with the riding :biggrin:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
whilst I agree that padded shorts are."a good thing", and wear them myself - 3/4 length bibs usually in my case - they're by no means essential. I happily did without for 30 odd years after all. More important is a comfy saddle - Brooks for me - but not for everyone. never bothered with cycling glasses - not saying they are "a bad thing" but I've never worn em nor felt any need so again, hardly essential. Gloves are essential if cold unless you're very tough indeed - and I still remember the agony of a forgotten gloves incident one winter 30 years ago - the 2nd bout of pain when my hands warmed up was even worse.

pplpilot

Guru
We are really lucky here, our MD is a huge roadie so we have a dedicated changing rooms, showers and lockers for the cyclists along with a washing machine, dryer ironing board and trouser press, along with a cycle shed even the most dedicated chav would have trouble getting into. I leave a change of clothes here permanently in my locker, they get a wash and a dry friday afternoons ready for monday morning. It's a shame I cant cycle in most days, having to be at customer sites as part of my job sees to that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We are really lucky here, our MD is a huge roadie so we have a dedicated changing rooms, showers and lockers for the cyclists along with a washing machine, dryer ironing board and trouser press, along with a cycle shed even the most dedicated chav would have trouble getting into. I leave a change of clothes here permanently in my locker, they get a wash and a dry friday afternoons ready for monday morning. It's a shame I cant cycle in most days, having to be at customer sites as part of my job sees to that.

How about a company bike?