Total noobie here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well I finally settled on a trek checkpoint Alr 5, a grand over my original budget, but I got £150 trade in for my Apollo that I paid £30 for and 7% discount through my works benefits scheme. I’m absolutely loving it. Only a few months earlier than planned, but once I’d decided on the bike I just couldn’t control myself :eek:

That's a nice bike. I ordered one but when it was built up it had a chunk of paint missing from the dropouts that looked awful. They couldn't get another one at the time as it was one of only 8 in the UK (this was back in March shortly after the release date) so I got a Domane ALR 5 Disc instead.

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

That's a nice bike. I ordered one but when it was built up it had a chunk of paint missing from the dropouts that looked awful. They couldn't get another one at the time as it was one of only 8 in the UK (this was back in March shortly after the release date) so I got a Domane ALR 5 Disc instead.
Oh no, I’d have been gutted if there was a chunk of paint missing. Where about on the dropouts was the paint missing from?

The Domane is a cool bike too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Oh no, I’d have been gutted if there was a chunk of paint missing. Where about on the dropouts was the paint missing from?

The Domane is a cool bike too.

It was on the inner face of the LH dropout where the TA tightens up. Would've been ok but when it came off it had taken a chunk right off around the outside edge of the dropout.

Not the biggest thing to happen but I'm fussy and it would've just irritated me esp' when mucky water got into the sheared edges and caused the paint to bubble - which it eventually does even when touched in in my experience.

The Domane has a slightly different dropout design in that the inner face has a raised lip that stops any potential peeling of paint onto the outside of the dropout. It also uses a different design TA which has a less aggressive 'binding' face than that on the Checkpoint which doesn't seem to shear the paint so much.

Maybe 'my' Checkpoint had a slightly dodgy paint job.

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

It was on the inner face of the LH dropout where the TA tightens up. Would've been ok but when it came off it had taken a chunk right off around the outside edge of the dropout.

Not the biggest thing to happen but I'm fussy and it would've just irritated me esp' when mucky water got into the sheared edges and caused the paint to bubble - which it eventually does even when touched in in my experience.

The Domane has a slightly different dropout design in that the inner face has a raised lip that stops any potential peeling of paint onto the outside of the dropout. It also uses a different design TA which has a less aggressive 'binding' face than that on the Checkpoint which doesn't seem to shear the paint so much.

Maybe 'my' Checkpoint had a slightly dodgy paint job.
Hmm, only reason I was asking as after I got a puncture and tightened up the TA some of the paint came off in my hand, I thought it was something I’d done, but when I take my bike back for it’s six week check over I’ll mention it to them and quote the problem you had.

OP
OP
Dbt

Dbt

Received an email from my dealer, and I’m getting a new set of forks. Mind you, if Trek had said they were going to repaint them I would have argued like a banshee on heat:laugh:. Apparently they’ve already got them in, so I just need to phone them to arrange an afternoon when they can fit them. Happy bunny.

Top Bottom