Touching up the paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Hi all,
I have a couple of areas on my frame which have been rubbed by cables, or slightly scratched and was wondering what would be best to paint the areas with?

Its a white aluminum frame so Im not really worried about corrosion, its just a aesthetic thing.

Ive read nail varnish should do the job but just wondering if there was other alternatives that people have found does the trick?

(http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bikewash.htm)
[SIZE=-1]Can’t find the right color touch-up paint? Try fingernail polish. It comes in many colors. [/SIZE]

(Ill try and get a couple of pics of the affected areas when I finish work)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Never done it myself, but the advice about nail varnish is best. I actually read this on the Trek website.

It's not on the main pages, you have tyo dig into their archived bike maintenance section.

you can also buy clear transfers or carbon effect (various shapes and sizes in the pack) to protect areas subject to cable rub and also the chainstay (on the drive side).

Can't remember where i last saw these. Try the usual suspects (wiggle etc.)

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Cheers everyone, Ill probably try the Airfix / Humbrol paint idea first - less embarassing to buy :biggrin:

Also Ill purchase some of those clear stickers to protect the repaired area. Ive re routed most of the cables now so they dont rub but most of the damage is already done :ohmy:

I need to touch up the paint on my car too after someone reversed into it yesterday ;)

Top Bottom