Tour de Forth - 19th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
Info can be found here

http://tour-de-forth.com/

Starts at ocean terminal and loops round going north on the forth bridge and has a few stops along the way, planning on entering this event and maybe cycle to the start and back home again, anybody else game?

zizou

Veteran
Would quite like to do a bit of cycling over there but £30 seems pretty steep for 55 miles. Pity there isnt a longer option

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Would quite like to do a bit of cycling over there but £30 seems pretty steep for 55 miles. Pity there isnt a longer option

Yeah but most seem to be about the £30 mark these days :sad:

Thats the reason im planning to cycle from home to start (some 20 miles) and then back home after words so prob adding another 40 or so miles into it :thumbsup:

edindave

Über Member
Leaving the £30 :wacko: aside, I'm not overly impressed with the route.
Too much A904 between Grangemouth and Bo'Ness, when they have missed out alternate quiet B-roads with panoramic views of the Forth (up by West Lothian Golf Club).

And make sure you have puncture proof tyres on the Silverknowes promenade next to Cramond - it's covered in razor-sharp shell fragments where the feeding birds drop shellfish. The puncture fairy will be taking on extra staff.

There have been much better forum ride routes... and they're FREE! :thumbsup:

And for that reason. I'm out. ;)

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Leaving the £30 :wacko: aside, I'm not overly impressed with the route.
Too much A904 between Grangemouth and Bo'Ness, when they have missed out alternate quiet B-roads with panoramic views of the Forth (up by West Lothian Golf Club).

And make sure you have puncture proof tyres on the Silverknowes promenade next to Cramond - it's covered in razor-sharp shell fragments where the feeding birds drop shellfish. The puncture fairy will be taking on extra staff.

There have been much better forum ride routes... and they're FREE! :thumbsup:

And for that reason. I'm out. ;)

Fair point well made, i enjoyed the trip round the forth we done last month and i thought the route was great :thumbsup:

Might just give this one a miss myself now, just thought it would be good if anybody hasnt done the route before and wants it signposted and for charity :thumbsup:

I'd be up for a tour of the tay ^_^

prenticeevents

Good morning , i am the designer and organisor of this new event for MERCY CORPS and via prenticeevents ( www.prenticeevents.com ) we have over past 6 years organised cycle rides in Scotland and in Europe. This new event aims to cater for a number of "types" of cyclists , so it is not one size fits all , and we will try and tweak the event as it develops to satisfy the range of cyclists who currently have enjoyed cycling with us.
Turning first to the route , it is not 55 miles as per Scotsman publication , but it is 70 miles , but we do have a full Tour option ( the 70 ) or two half tours (about 35 miles each ) with DEMI UN ,starting via a bus and truck ex Kincardine to take you to Ocean Terminal and you cycle back ( cost £20 plus transport) and DEM! DEUX starts at Ocean Terminal with a bus and truck lift to Kincardine to cycle back.
The Full tour route , we know of the routes above Boness , and we will consider looking at alternative route for the SPORTIVE types if demand exists for that, it will increase distance a bit to ??? so we would offer a two full route options, the 70 miler and the ??? new distance , please get in contact if you wish us to explore that option further. The 70 miler , will be a challenge for many who have not tried that distance ,and we are looking at the type who would do Pedal for Scotland as well as club cyclists( the Sportive Dunfermline which we also organise has 3 routes 45 , 66 and 93 miles all of which are really for club cyclists , so we can have another Sportive route on the Tour ..)
The route re silverknowes , i have cycled that route many times and not had the problems as outlined re shredding tyres and have had many hundreds of cyclists doing the SESTRAN TWO CAPITALS for past 5 years on that very route and we have not had any reported problems or exceptional puncture rate , so i afarid i cannot agree with the comment .
The Route from Blackness to Hopeton House along the forth has two options , for skinnies you will use a tarmac route option and for the casual cyclist they can use the SUSTRAN route if they wish, We also expect to be granted permission to use the tarmac roads behind the gates at Hopeton so the skinnes and others will get a great view of the Forth and ride on good roads all the way.
The event has has a family route of about 22 miles to allow casual and family cyclists a day out .
So in summary , the route is 70 miles , the event is priced competively with event teeshirts and water bottles on offer , we can add a greater distance second sportive route and would be pleased to do so , Silverknowes has not been a problem to many hundreds of cyclists on my events over past 5 years ....we aim to cater for a full range of cyclists and have phased starts and different start points ...to allow all to have a great day out with us .

allan

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Good to see you join up allan, i have done two capitals 3 or 4 years and never once had a puncture (touches wood) not sure where on the route the bad part was mentioned but i have defo not had any puncture problems :thumbsup:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
How much traing would need to be doing to do this tour de forth?

Am doing 30 mile 3 times a week just now, will be stepping that up a bit, do you think i could get my fitness level up in time for the start of this event?

the route i mostly do just now is, i leave alloa, head over forest mill, over to powmill, then over through rumbling bridge to pool of muckhart, then i go right along the hillfoots, turn down the coffee bothy road, then it`s through tullibody and back up to alloa

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
How much traing would need to be doing to do this tour de forth?

Am doing 30 mile 3 times a week just now, will be stepping that up a bit, do you think i could get my fitness level up in time for the start of this event?

the route i mostly do just now is, i leave alloa, head over forest mill, over to powmill, then over through rumbling bridge to pool of muckhart, then i go right along the hillfoots, turn down the coffee bothy road, then it`s through tullibody and back up to alloa

I think this event will be pretty straight forward if your doing 3 x 30 mile rides a week, route will be mostly flat with no real hills to worry about :thumbsup:

edindave

Über Member
The route re silverknowes , i have cycled that route many times and not had the problems as outlined re shredding tyres and have had many hundreds of cyclists doing the SESTRAN TWO CAPITALS for past 5 years on that very route and we have not had any reported problems or exceptional puncture rate , so i afarid i cannot agree with the comment .

Fair enough, it was just a subjective observation. I ride the route 5 times a week on a hybrid with puncture-proof tyres (Gatorskins/Mara +) and, despite them being cut to ribbons, punctures are never really an issue.

However, this morning I took my road bike along part of the promenade (first cycle in 3 weeks after a holiday) and guess what? Puncture!

I must just be lucky as I hit the jackpot on the rare occasion I went along there on 23mm tyres... (heading to buy a lottery ticket now) :thumbsup:

Sorry to bump a thread with another event !

Sportive St Andrews www.sportivestandrews.co.uk
3 routes £25 fee you choose your route on registration either 2 weeks before when your packs come via e-mail or on the day.
2 feed stations with mechanical back up, banana's & water
  • 45 miles
  • 60 miles
  • 80 miles
Raising for Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland and for a schools/youth cylcing/club fund so we can organise races on and off road for kids in Fife

Sorry to bump a thread with another event !

Sportive St Andrews www.sportivestandrews.co.uk
3 routes £25 fee you choose your route on registration either 2 weeks before when your packs come via e-mail or on the day.
2 feed stations with mechanical back up, banana's & water
  • 45 miles
  • 60 miles
  • 80 miles
Raising for Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland and for a schools/youth cylcing/club fund so we can organise races on and off road for kids in Fife

& for the record if I my Mrs can get a shift swap or my folks are available I'll be doing this once 'cause I can't ride my own !

Top Bottom