Tour de France Femmes (avec Zwift) (et avec spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting fact I just learned from Twitter. When AVV pulled on the yellow jersey yesterday it was the first time for 14 years that a Movistar rider had been in yellow.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
What a loss it will be when she retires next year. Maybe she'll reconsider?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What did we learn from that?

(Warning, may contain stupid opinions)

It was exciting to watch, and attracted plenty of attention. All in all a success. And something to build on. But ...

... AvV just totally marmalising everyone (except for Vollering whom she just slightly marmalised) is a bit of a problem. She's done the same, or very similar, in the past on the Zoncolan in the Giro Rosa. I don't think it's only because she's very very good, (which she undeniably is). It might be because the most prestigious women's races tend to be the classics meaning that there isn't so much reason for riders to train for big climbs. If the TdFF is going dominate the calendar will it drive a change in women's racing overall? And could that actually be a problem?

... why was there so much excitement about this while the Giro Rosa/Donne has been going for quite a while and tends not to get the same buzz? It even got into trouble with the UCI a couple of years back for not being televised enough, presumably because it couldn't make it pay. I guess the answer to that is the marketing power of the magic words "Tour de France" and the might of ASO.

I guess another question is what women's racing should be aiming for? Is the ultimate aim 21 day tours just like the men's or should it be aiming for its own, distinctive, events? After all, you could spin it as a positive that it's not burdened down with "tradition".

I don't know the answers to any of these questions. And some of them may be daft questions as they're based on my wonky opinions.

alex_cycles

Veteran
... why was there so much excitement about this while the Giro Rosa/Donne has been going for quite a while and tends not to get the same buzz? It even got into trouble with the UCI a couple of years back for not being televised enough, presumably because it couldn't make it pay. I guess the answer to that is the marketing power of the magic words "Tour de France" and the might of ASO.

This year the Giro Donne was on at the same time as the Tour de France. If they wanted people to watch it, perhaps not putting it on at the same time as the largest sporting event in the world might be sensible. Just sayin' :laugh:

We all agreed how exhausting watching the last two stages of the TdF Femmes was. I don't think I have the capacity to watch two major Tours at once. (Maybe with some more training I could up my game a bit?) :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This year the Giro Donne was on at the same time as the Tour de France. If they wanted people to watch it, perhaps not putting it on at the same time as the largest sporting event in the world might be sensible. Just sayin' :laugh:

We all agreed how exhausting watching the last two stages of the TdF Femmes was. I don't think I have the capacity to watch two major Tours at once. (Maybe with some more training I could up my game a bit?) :laugh:

Yes, that's a perennial problem.

Top Bottom