Tour de France thought...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the front group, Augustyn accelerated to be the first over the top of the Cime de la Bonette-Restefond. Popovych, Arroyo, Dessel and Casar followed closely. Augustyn then overshot a sharp right hand bend and crashed spectacularly. He was able to continue, but the race for the stage win was over.
Poor bloke! Anyone who saw that descent on Tuesday must have been on the edge of the settee.
Anyway, back to Augustyn
He hails from South Africa, Zimbabwe actually I think, which got me thinking about 'black' - 'coloured' if you like, riders in the world of cycling.
By that, I suppose I mean African nations etc -or others...Jamaican sprinters perhaps?
OK I'm answering my own question a bit here but generally, given the achievements of, say, Ethiopian or African long distance runners, I would have thought the capabilities of these athletes would be ideal if developed 'in the peloton'.
Any ideas?

(And don't tell me that Dwayne Chambers is going for a trial at Barloworld!:becool: )

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There are probably a number of factors as to why you don't see more black riders, expense alone probably being a big one in third world countries. But could the main reason be the same as for the lack of black top level swimmers? Something to do with higher average bone density I think. A lot of successful pro cyclists, especially the climbers, seem to be very slightly built, whereas black athletes seem to be more muscular.

... OTH perhaps they just can't afford the EPO.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
You try cycling in Africa, it's not easy!

It's popular in South Africa, but that's the only country on the continent with the infrastructure that makes it a viable sport.

Plus, most people there just aren't interested, it would take a lot of effort to change that

Haitch

Flim Flormally
What about at a more local level though? I hardly ever see coloured cyclists apart from commuters. There are over 250 members of my bike club and every single one of us is white.

mondobongo

Über Member
Roger de Vlaeminck aka Mr Paris Roubaix has been working with riders from Zimbabwe for the last couple of years. Flemish TV actually made a reality/docu series about it named Allez Allez Zimbabwe.

Maurice Burton, anybody? And does anybody know how his recovery is going?

I once caught up with De Ver in Croydon. Maurice asked me where I was going (Hastings iirc) and wished me well. Had I know who I was talking to, I'd have tugged my forelock. If I had a forelock.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Alan H said:
What about at a more local level though? I hardly ever see coloured cyclists apart from commuters. There are over 250 members of my bike club and every single one of us is white.

That is, in itself, not a problem. I can think of no one reason why any particular ethnic group should be especially encouraged to take up cycling. All one can do is not to place any obstacles in the way of anybody who shows an interest and clubs should be positively welcoming of new cyclists. Their colour must surely be irrelevant.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I am sure posters will be able to come up with plenty of black/mixed individuals who have been pro bikers.

But the question is more general than that, a few examples doesn't disprove the obvious fact that bugger all black people are into cycling, and Asians for that matter.

Are the reasons social/cultural, or physical?

Maz

Guru
As with many Asian families, mine grew up in a densely populated inner city. The houses were all terraced and cars were parked on narrow roads - conditions which didn't lend themselves to riding bikes (well, not any road riding, anyway). I had a Raleigh Tomahawk when I was a young'un...my next bike would be for commuting!

Maybe factors like this prevent some people from taking up cycling as a competitive sport at an early age.

dodgy

Interesting thread, I don't think I've ever seen a black guy riding a bike in a sporting way (I mean lycra'd up, going fast, riding with a club etc).
Lack of role models?

Dave.

Good on your kids Crock!
I think you and Maz ought to get together and open up a bike shop (or ten:biggrin:)
How about the 'Punjabi Pedallers' 'Sikh and ye shall Grind' etc etc...
I would hope that talent shines through with all sports but I'm not sure it's about role models - it all becomes a bit too 'political' for me...;)

Top Bottom