Tour de France training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingSAM

Well im 15.. some of you may know that i want to really go for tour de france in 10 years time. Im just posting to get ideas/tips/answers and find out what should i do to train for it now?

Im not in a club yet, but i know i will be, i want to get in for the summer term, gives me enough time to train for that and become better/fitter for when competing in races etc.

Foods: What shall i eat now at the age of 15 what will improve my preformance?

Training: How long do i cycle for? How many hills should i go up in certain miles.

Tracks: To sprint as much as i can till im out?

Do i keep cycling till: Keep training even when my body is telling me to stop? Or could this result in danger? Ive looked on google about tour de france - saying about it, keep going when body is telling you to stop.

Is there any other thing to do for training at my age?

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think you need to join a club. why have you not already? you're not too young, Lance Armstrong was about 10 i think! i don't know a lot about racing but they will give you all the info you need, get you into races to you can get categorised (is that the right word?) i.e. you need to be winning Cat 1 races to move up to professional level and all that. they will tell you how to train to get faster, find out what your good at (climbing, sprinting etc... in the Tour you work as a team), advise you on nutrition and when to keep training and when to listen to your body when its screaming for a rest, in effect they will teach you to train smart and effectively.

don't be shy about popping along to your local club asap. cyclists are a very friendly bunch and cycle clubs love a bit of new talent.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
CyclingSAM said:
Well im 15.. some of you may know that i want to really go for tour de france in 10 years time. Im just posting to get ideas/tips/answers and find out what should i do to train for it now?

Im not in a club yet, but i know i will be, i want to get in for the summer term, gives me enough time to train for that and become better/fitter for when competing in races etc.

Foods: What shall i eat now at the age of 15 what will improve my preformance?

Training: How long do i cycle for? How many hills should i go up in certain miles.

Tracks: To sprint as much as i can till im out?

Do i keep cycling till: Keep training even when my body is telling me to stop? Or could this result in danger? Ive looked on google about tour de france - saying about it, keep going when body is telling you to stop.

Is there any other thing to do for training at my age?

You really need to be under the tutelage of British Cycling's coaches by now. Being ready for top class competition at any age group needs a scientific and methodical approach to training. Graham Obree was a self taught/coached champion that bucked the trend against scientific methodologies

I know from some work that I have done do with British Cycling's Go Ride Scheme that the co-ordinators are interested in pupils in years eight and nine at school. You must get into a club or onto a Go Ride racing scheme to take advantage of expert advice in training, nutrition and techniques.

Have a look at the British Cycling's web site and take things from there for your next steps. You must get yourself organised and become single minded in your pursuit of a team place for the Tour de France. It won't be an easy ride (sic)

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

User3143 said:
Best thing you can do is take the advice given to you in the other thread and that is to join a club.

I don't want to hear no bollox from you about how there is no hills or the road surface is crap because that is rubbish.

I was down your neck of the woods yesterday doing a delivery (I'm a truck driver) coming back up from Thanet to London there are more then a few hills, not forgetting as well that you have the Kent Downs.

Milage wise I should think that you would prob be looking at doing between 20-30 miles every other evening depending on how your fitness and of course longer rides at the weekend between 50-70 miles. Rest is just as important as riding. But the Thanet RC will tell you all this anyway. Forget about going on a track and going round and round you need to get out on the road

As for your diet, obviously you want to cut out/cut back on all fatty foods eat healthy etc, drink plenty.

Did you go out for a ride today?

Yes 22 miles on a track.

and tommorrow this is my root.

wqt3zk.jpg

Have no idea, on how to get there but going with a friend he sorta knows the way. Hopefully ill memorise it and go there lots more. Its all on Road.

jags

Guru
sam listen you need to join a cycling club,if you have never raced well look, your in for a bit of a shock honest.even club raceing will soon open your eyes up to what it's all about.your going to need to build up miles in your legs and head .this is proberly one if not the toughest sports there is,make no mistake about that,but it's proberly the most exciting as well.find a club in your area, ask if you can join one of the club runs see how you like it,don't ask to many questions look and learn be cool sam no need to get excited keep that for when your raceing,.okay enough for now keep us oldies posted ,we might just know a thing or two you never know?

Top Bottom