Tour de Yorkshire 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure how Middlesbrough qualifies as being in Yorkshire, but there you go...

Ummm..... where do you think it is then?

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Ummm..... where do you think it is then?

Oops. I stand corrected. Apologies. Just got this from Wikipedia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Middlesbrough ( 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.png i/ˈmɪdəlzbrə/ mid-əlz-brə) is a large industrial town situated on the south bank of the River Tees in North Yorkshire, England. The local council, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council. The town is often considered to extend beyond the council boundary into the neighbouring borough of Redcar & Cleveland. Whilst the Middlesbrough council area had 138,400 residents according to the office for national statistics, the Middlesbrough settlement [2] had a population of 174,700, which itself is part of the larger built-up area of Teesside and had an overall population of 376,333 at the 2011 census.[2]

Middlesbrough was governed by the County Council of the North Riding of Yorkshire until 1889, when it was created a county borough. In 1968 the borough was merged with a number of others to form the County Borough of Teesside, which was absorbed in 1974 by the county of Cleveland. In 1996, Cleveland was abolished, and Middlesbrough became a unitary authority, geographically within North Yorkshire.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Scarborough - Middlesborough round the Moors, Beverley - Doncaster round the Wolds, and Settle - Otley round the Dales (or reverse) then?

Looks very, very interesting

http://letour.yorkshire.com/2016

Stage 2 (Saturday 30th April) starts in Otley, let's hope that she's available, & Lizzie Armitstead (who is from the town) drops the flag

It also passes along some of my regular roads around the Tadcaster/Sherburn-in-Elmet/South Milford/Birkin & Beal area

And through the gorgeousness of Hooton Pagnall (almost a Cotswolds village, in the midst of South Yorkshire

Joffey

Big Dosser
I feel sorry for the drivers who use Sutton Bank, it's going to be full of cyclists now! Me being one of them!

Overall I think it's a great route - looking forward to Stage 3 as it goes through my hometown of Northallerton. That'll be a good day on the beer!

Postmanhat

From cycling weekly

Date: Friday, April 29
Where: Beverley to Settle
Distance: 184km
Elevation: 1832m
Who does it suit? Sprinters’ stage, if a break can’t use one of the climbs to get away
Sprints: Bubworth, Threshfield, Giggleswick
KOM: Greenhow Hill

Tour-de-Yorkshire-2016-stage-one-route-profile.jpg

Date: Saturday, April 30
Where: Otley to Doncaster
Distance: 135.5km
Elevation: 1110m
Who does it suit? Sprinters’ stage, with a few small kicks towards the end
Sprints: Scholes, Warmsworth
KOMs: Harewood Bank, East Rigton, Conisbrough Castle

Women’s race: On the same course in the morning

Tour-de-Yorkshire-2016-stage-two-and-womens-route-profile.jpg

Date: Sunday, May 1
Where: Middlesbrough to Scarborough
Distance: 196km
Elevation: 2593m climbing
Sprints: Thirsk, Whitby Abbey
KOMs: Sutton Bank, Blakey Ridge, Grosmont, Robin Hood’s Bay, Harwood Dale, Oliver’s Mount

Tour-de-Yorkshire-2016-stage-three-route-profile.jpg

Stage 3 has a few lung-openers :smile: Presumably, we can expect some wind up there?

Date: Sunday, May 1
Where: Middlesbrough to Scarborough
Distance: 196km
Elevation: 2593m climbing
Sprints: Thirsk, Whitby Abbey
KOMs: Sutton Bank, Blakey Ridge, Grosmont, Robin Hood’s Bay, Harwood Dale, Oliver’s Mount

The Lion, up at Blakey will be happy for the (extra) business that day, not that it seems quiet any time
(we were last there, on Thursday 22nd October, & had to wait for a table!)
PA221550.JPG

There'll undoubtedly be a repeat of the Locomotive line-up, on the NYMR, at Grosmont again^_^
2600400865.jpg

However, the sign is still in place (or was in October) from last year

DSCF0102.JPG

I wonder if the sign will still be up in Egton, or is it just for Whitby Goth Weekend?
DSCF0035.JPG

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Two great climbs. Greenhow Hill and Sutton Bank. Might ride out to watch at both of these. Greenhow is a killer. It just goes on and on and on and on and on............

oldroadman

Veteran
Not bad, though less lumpy than might be expected. Only one significant transfer (teams hate them!), Doncaster - Middlesborough, about 85-90 miles, so maybe 100 minutes on A1?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Is anyone looking to be in Donny for the finish of stage 2? I was hoping to go to p to dads and in with brother but he's just told me's going to be away. Dad lives in Hatfield.

Top Bottom