tour des grandes alpes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I posted about this in tour and expedition but was wondering if I would get a better (ie any) response here - has anyone done this ride? If so, what are your experiences? It's appealing to me for next year's daft multiday escapade...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You'll be fine. It's a great ride which can be done with quite a few variations.

I prefer to do it from the Med to Geneva as you get a more gradual start and there are more options at the north end to make it either shorter or longer as needs be. (Col de Joux Plan, etc)

Transport is easy at each end and I've always camped with no bookings needed or anything.

It's easy to include the Alp d'Huez, although more aesthetically pleasing if you continue up the Col de Sarenne before dropping down.

And so on. Sheila Simpson's alpine col website (Virtual Alps) allows you to consider some really quite adventurous alternatives to satisfy our off road tendencies as well! (Seems to be off line at the moment)

Fantastic, thanks very much Tim. I agree that south to north might be better because the hills build more gradually. That tallies with what I have read.

We were thinking of doing it on our roadies - triples of course - with minimal kit (ie stuffed pockets and racktop or seatpost mounted bags).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
That's probably ideal, but don't forget to allow enough time to 'stop and smell the flowers'. Some people get so engrossed in miles ridden and feet climbed that they loose sight of the fact they are traversing a fantastic area.

Although it can be, and commonly is, blistering hot, remember that if it comes in overcast and drizzly (not that un common) the down hills can be very, very cold as you will be motionless in a 30mph wind for well over an hour. Buffs, leggings, thin gloves and even simple overshoes / bread bags can all prove useful.

Tim Bennet. said:
That's probably ideal, but don't forget to allow enough time to 'stop and smell the flowers'. Some people get so engrossed in miles ridden and feet climbed that they loose sight of the fact they are traversing a fantastic area.

Although it can be, and commonly is, blistering hot, remember that if it comes in overcast and drizzly (not that un common) the down hills can be very, very cold as you will be motionless in a 30mph wind for well over an hour. Buffs, leggings, thin gloves and even simple overshoes / bread bags can all prove useful.

Yes frolicking time will be built in. We are all keen on wildlife/flowers/birds so it is a must. I have read one online account of it which made the same point about the weather, and so roubaix arms/legs and light waterproofs will be what is shoved in the pockets...!

Top Bottom